Chapter 7

I plopped down onto the floor in exhaustion next to my brother Ren. It felt like we've been training in Atlantis for an eternity, all we ever seem to do is eat, train, and get very little sleep. We are all exhausted. I've learned how to hone my skills with my sword better, honestly though, the little dragon creeps me out...it just stares at you. Ren has learned to use his book better and Connor pretty much just learned how to smash things more efficiently than his usual methods.

Connor came and sat down next to us, huffing in exhaustion. He had just finished a sparring match with Soji. He looked up at him through a scruff of hair that had fallen over his eyes and said "We've been training for eight weeks every day nonstop. Can we have a break?"

Soji stood by Telemnar and replied "yes, right after you complete these last few tests. Tara and Connor, I want you to go against one another. Show me what you have learned."

Connor groaned and got back to his feet, yanking me up with him. We both stood at either side of the training area facing one another. I drew my blade and he held up his war hammer. Soji, Ren and Telemnar went to one side of the yard, a safe distance away from us and Soji yelled, "begin!"

I was already starting to run in a circle around Connor, anticipating him throwing the hammer. He had raised his hand back, getting ready to throw the hammer as I circled him. He had left himself open with his arm raised so I took the chance to dart behind him and took him out by the knees. As soon as he had fallen to his knees I leaned over, placing my blade against his neck "Lethal strike." I called and stepped back, twirling my blade around with a teasing smirk.

Connor stood up again and faced me, returning my playful smirk with a look of determination, "that's okay, you are a girl after all. I have to take it easy on you."

I raised a brow and thought to myself in annoyance, 'you little son of a...you're going to pay for that sexist remark..'

Angrily, I raised by blade in an overhand strike. Connor stood there, unmoving as I brought my hand down, admittedly I got a bit worried when he didn't move but the anger overruled my common sense. Just before the blade could touch the top of Connor's head the blade whispered at me in Japanese again and the dragon's eyes burned with an intense, red fire. That was when I realized a second too late what Connor had done. The bugger had remembered how my sword works and got me worked up. A sharp, painful jolt shot up my arm, briefly paralysing my hand. The blade fell out of my hand and Connor nonchalantly walked up to me with that annoying, huge grin of his. Looking down at me, he very gently touched my forehead with his hammer, "fatal strike."

I took a few deep breaths and stepped forward, moving the hand holding the hammer away from me as I bent down and grabbed my sword. As I did that Connor redirected all my weight to throw me off balance, making me tumble. I easily turned it into a roll and without skipping a beat I was on my feet again. I whirled around just in time to parry a blow from Connor's hammer, the force of the swing forced me to take a few steps back. We both jumped away from one another then ran forward to exchange blows again. This went on for a few moments before Connor suddenly threw his hammer, missing me completely. I saw where this was going and quickly ducked, just before the hammer could hit me. Connor caught the hammer, leaving himself open again. As I straightened up I hit him under the jaw with the heel of my hand. He immediately fell backwards, hitting the ground hard with a grunt. I quickly stepped forward and rested tip of my blade between his legs and his head shot up, eyes wide as he emitted a squeak. I grinned down at him, "fatal strike." Ren and Telemnar both burst out laughing.

Soji gave a nod, "Excellent! Both of you. You are a lot better than you were when you first got here. Connor, you actually used your head for once and Tara, you learned to control your temper. Tara, since you won this match you'll face your brother, then you are all done for the day. Tomorrow we will begin the next step of your training."