It's Funny How Life Plays Out, Isn't It?

I was so happy the first day of tenth grade. I'd went a long way to come to where I was. 

         My name's Kari, Kari Curt. I was born in Austin, Texas, but grew up in New York. As I grew, I became used to the accent, so I guess I speak with it now. 

         My mom's name is Clarisse, and my dad's name is Robert. We were always been a happy family, that is until they divorced a little over two years ago. My mom was the one who took claim of me, so I live with her. She has two full time jobs, which means she's always gone. And so, I learned to fend for myself. We live in an estate in Ohio now, and surprisingly, it's not too bad. 

         On the morning of my first day of tenth grade, I got up extra early. My room was below freezing, like always in winter. I rubbed my hands together to make some heat by friction, and then quickly pressed each hand to the opposite arm. Goosebumps rose in response. 

         I sat there on my bed for a second, grinning goofily. I was going to see my best friend Cher today. And Larry was going to be there, too. Claire and Ash, too. It felt like a year since I had last seen them. And today, we were going to all be together again.

         And Rob.

         My heart beat faster than usual, and I sat there, remembering Rob's face. His warm smile, his glowing eyes. 

         Eagerly, I pushed back my bedsheet covers from my legs, missing them instantly. I shook my head and swung my feet over the edge of the bed. My feet landed on the Arctic floor. 

         I shivered, and then made my way over to my room door. I opened it, and it creaked loudly, echoing throughout our two story house. The whole house was a ghastly blue, mostly because it was early, and the light from outside shone in through the windows. I walked across the hall, the floor boards moaning under my feet. I stopped in fromt of my mom's bedroom door. I knocked, one, two, three times. 

        "Mom?" I called softly. "You here?" I waited ten seconds and figured she'd already left, or she was still working from last night. 

         I walked swiftly back into my room, shutting the door behind me. I threw on some clothes, and looked at myself in the mirror that was hanging on a wall. 

         I didn't look like much of a tenth grader. I had a purt little nose and green, cat-like, glowing eyes. I blinked them, examining. I had long eyelashes, like the ones that women buy at the store. I also had long, gleaming chestnut colored hair that reached down my back, ending at my well distinguished waist. I grabbed all of it in my hand and pulled it to one side in the front, pursing my lips. I shook my head, letting my hair fly about in whichever way it pleased. I smiled, and then exited the bathroom. 

         I put on my shoes and went downstairs. The stair railing was cold at the touch, making me shiver. 

         I went into the kitchen and turned on the chandelier that hung above our ebony table. It didn't make much of a difference, but I shrugged and made a bowl of cereal. 

         After finishing my bowl of cereal and setting the bowl down in the sink, I grabbed my backpack and started for the front door. All the while I worried about my mom. She overworked herself. I tugged at my hair thoughtfully, and wrapped the brown locks around my fingers. 

         The air was piercing cold outside, slapping my cheeks like nobody's business. I let out a surprised gasp, and ran back inside the house. I stood in the doorway. The wind was calm, but the air felt like ice. 

         I forced my legs to move forward. They protested, but I eventually won. Shutting the door behind, I made my way to Clearwater High.