Chapter 16

A piece of the past...

"Because I am walking the two of you home doesn't mean anything at all," Troy said to Jackie while stealing a glance toward Danica who was walking silently beside her friend, her head bent.

"You've been walking us home for like two weeks now," Jackie pointed out. She eyed him suspiciously and said, "Have you done something?"

He scoffed and looked at her incredulously. "Whatever crazy idea you have, that's not it."

"You've probably had a deal with some gang and placed us as bets," Jackie continued with her remarkably wild imagination, gesturing with her hands in the air. "George is always safe because their driver picks her up. So that leaves me and Dannie here." She gasped and whipped her head toward him. "Are we in danger? Is that why you're making sure we get home safe? That's it, isn't it? Who are they, Troy? Tell me and we'll go to the police right now!"

He stopped in his track and looked at Jackie with wonder, shaking his head. "Wow. Your imagination is really out of control." He started walking again and as he caught up, he squeezed between them and wound his arms over the two girls. He instantly noticed the difference in their reactions. Jackie did nothing at first but eventually slapped his arm off her shoulders while Danica literally froze. He took his arm away from her and pretended nothing happened. "Anyway, I am just doing this because I do care for my lady friends."

"Don't your parents look for you?" Jackie asked.

"They know what I am doing and they are proud of it," he retorted, glancing at Danica. She looked pale, but she was trying to act normal—if deliberately being a mute was normal.

"This is me," Jackie said later as they passed by her house.

He continued to follow Danica after waving goodbye to Jackie, his hands deep in his pockets.

"You don't have to do this," Danica said in a low voice.

"Come on, Danica, you've been telling me that for two weeks now. I just want to do this as part of my practice to becoming a real gentleman."

She scoffed, but he saw a smile form on her lips.

"I'll get going then," he said thirty minutes later. They had reached the block that led to her neighborhood and she had never wanted him to take her outside her home. He never insisted.

"Troy," Danica called when he was a few meters away. He stopped and eagerly turned. "Thanks," she said with a small smile and disappeared into the small alleyway.

Troy beamed to his ears and leisurely walked his way to the jeepney terminal nearby. His parents would freak out if they found out where he'd usually go after school, but he didn't care. For the first time in the two weeks that he had been taking her home, Danica had said 'thank you'.

PRESENT DAY

Dannie baby climbed off me after Brady tried countless of times to start me up. She was squinting against the glare of the sun while her hands were on her hips as she gave me a look of scrutiny.

Baby, don't look at me like that. It's embarrassing! I should be capable of going home. We should go home ASAP but why the hell are we stuck here of all time?

It was no question that this time, ALL of us wanted to go home. Brady was no longer dragging the time. He was not even suggesting we stay the day. As a matter of fact, he was still trying to turn my engine on with the key. Dude, that thing is gonna break if you don't stop. I'm telling you, bring me to a mechanic now!