Chapter 8 - The Rendezvous site

---Coda’s POV---

I yawned lightly and stretched, winching when my muscles protested against the action. Hearing a soft whine, I lazily blinked my eyes open, getting a look at the white fur that was stuffed in my face. I snorted and quickly pulled my head away from Nyra’s side when she shifted from my movements.

She huffed softly, wriggling closer and nuzzled the black fur on my chest before she relaxed in her sleep. My lips twitched with a smile as I watched my sister sleep. A brush of warm air and a lick made me look behind me, as far as I could twist my head around.

Mom smiled at me and licked my cheek again before she cautiously nuzzled my back and sides. When her nose bumped against a sore spot, I couldn’t stop the whine that slipped between my lips. It had an instant reaction on my sis; her ears perked up before her head snapped towards me, eyes rapidly blinking in an attempt to lose the sleepiness.

“Coda? You okay?” she asked, more like mumbled as she was still half asleep. I nodded and gave her a lick on the angry red welt on her nose as she smiled groggily and dug her nose back in my fur, curling up against me. She sighed once and then the den grew quiet again before mom stalked around us so I wouldn’t have to crane my neck so far.

“Your father has been thinking about traveling to the Rendezvous-site and I agree with him. You pups have grown stronger and stronger and proved yourselves worthy.” Excitement bubbled up inside me and I had to force myself to stay quiet so Nyra could sleep through it. “Really?” I breathed softly.

Mom nodded, curling her body around us. I smiled happily before I noticed that Roku wasn’t in the den with us. Although he had pushed us into trouble, he still was our brother. “Where’s Roku?” I asked, instantly regretting doing so as mom’s golden-brown eyes darkened with anger.

“He’s getting extra lessons in pack rules. It appears he’s as hardheaded as Fergal is. And that is something I’d rather not have in my pack; Fergal is a great defender and warrior but too much of them in one pack can tear the pack apart.”

I nodded slowly, winching when the bruises on my body announced their presence yet again. Thinking about everything, I wondered what that strange sound was, so I asked mom, describing the sound as best as I could. She seemed dazed, confused for a while as she looked out the den before looking back at me.

“That’s probably something related to the Watchers, I can’t give you any answers on that pup. If it stopped when the snake arrived, maybe it’s a sign that danger is getting closer? Did your sister hear it as well?” Mom asked while tilting her head.

“Yes,” I nodded, frowning at all the strange things that happened with my sister and me, “She heard it too but when we asked Roku, he said he couldn’t hear it.” I stopped, hesitating for a moment while I looked away. “Roku said we’re freaks.”

Mom growled, shaking her head as her tongue flicked out to brush over her canines. I whimpered softly to avert her anger as I tucked my ears and tail away, what caught mom’s attention. She turned around and comfortingly rubbed her nose over my head. “Both of you are very special but you are not freaks Coda. Roku is just jealous of you pups.”

I nodded slowly and yawned, causing mom to chuckle as I sleepily licked my lips. It still felt weird to have these things, teeth in your mouth. At least they helped me get some grip on things, like that snake.

Shivering, I tucked my nose against Nyra’s head and slowly fell to sleep; the last sensation I processed was mom curling her body around us before she laid her head next to us.

----------------

“Wake up pups.”

I groaned and stretched my limbs before realizing that that voice wasn’t mother’s soft, reassuring tone or her voice at all. My head snapped up and I immediately wagged my tail between my paws as I licked my father’s face to greet him.