CHAPTER 19

JACE

I awake in the middle of the night to Avery running her hands over my face.

Smiling, I sit up and grab her hands, kissing them. "What's wrong, baby?"

"Nothing," she whispers. "I just..."

"You can tell me," I whisper, while rolling her over and positioning myself between her spread legs. "Please."

She closes her eyes and lets out a small, satisfied breath, when I lean in and gently kiss her neck. "I've just been thinking about you..."

Smiling against her neck, I tangle my hands into her hair. "I like the sound of that," I whisper. "What about me?"

Wrapping her arms tightly around my neck, she hesitates a few moments, before speaking. "I keep trying to picture my life without you and every scenario without you in it, hurts like hell. I can't breathe when I think about never seeing you again. That's how I know..."

Her words trail off as I lean in and gently kiss her lips. "I'd never leave you. I can't stay for more than a few hours. I promise you that."

"I love you," she blurts out. "That's how I know I love you."

My heart stops as soon as the words leave her lips. I wasn't expecting to hurt and feel so damn good at the same time.

Cupping her face, I desperately bring her lips to mine, licking them for access. She instantly parts her lips, moaning as I kiss her deeper than I've ever kissed her before.

I've been saving this kiss for this exact moment. The moment that she saved my heart and brought me back to life.

"I love you so fucking much," I whisper against her lips. "More than you'll ever know."

"I'll try my best to know," she whispers back. "I promise, Jace."

💋 💋 💋

Avery

Sitting at the kitchen table, I can't stop smiling from the memories of last night. I have to admit; it was the best night of my entire life. Jace made sure to show me all night, just how him loving me felt.

"Jace," I whisper, looking up at him, eating his food beside me.

Jace looks up from his plate and reaches for my hand, softly running his fingers over mine and smiling. "Are you feeling okay?" he questions.

I nod my head, even though I hate to have to tell him this. "I have a new apartment," I blurt out, my heart racing. "I signed a lease, before I knew this what would happen."

Jace's eyes widen as a look of hurt crosses his once relaxed face, before turning his head away, taking a deep breath.

My heart drops as I watch him. He looks hurt.

The room is silent.

I don't know what to say. We both sit here looking down at our plates, until Jackie enters the kitchen wearing a fitted black suit.

She looks back and forth between the both of us and then leans against the counter. "Well, everyone seems a little out of it today," she mumbles. "What's going on?"

Jace gives me a weak smile before looking up at his sister and motioning for her to join us at the table. "Everything's fine." He squeezes my hand and pulls my chair closer to his. "You look nice today, Jackie. Do you have some special plans we don't know about," he questions, trying to sound excited.

He's right. She looks great. Her black suit fits her perfectly and her is hair pulled back into a tight bun, with a loose strand of hair hanging perfectly around her face. She looks very professional. She's quite beautiful.