Part Twenty-six

It’s Monday morning, and I wake up feeling completely groggy and unsure of what exactly is going on. Kade lies beside me on the sofa, and I remember what happened yesterday – including my phone being thrown against a cafe wall, meaning that I am now phoneless. Although, maybe that’s a good thing. Maybe that means that I won’t have to be so anxious and paranoid about receiving anonymous text messages.

I sit on the sofa, watching Kade for a moment as he sleeps. Soon my thoughts turn into worries that Kade's still going to be mad at me over everything that happened yesterday, and I realise that I need to stop worrying about everything so much. Even if he's mad, we'll get past this.

Shoving away any unwelcome thoughts, I slide off of the sofa, careful not to wake up Kade. As if I’m on autopilot, I go to search for my phone, before realising for the second time this morning that I don’t have it – it’s lying in a cafe against a wall in pieces... if it’s not in the bin already, that is.

I ruffle my hair a little in annoyance.

Going upstairs and into Kade’s room, I try to figure out whereabouts he’d put his mobile. All I can think of is with his wallet and keys, which I can’t find either. It’s most likely to be in a jacket or in his jean pockets. Looks like I’m gonna have to do some searching. Honestly, its times like these that I wish we’d actually gotten a house phone. We’ve never really needed it before though.

And now, here I am, searching for my boyfriend’s phone, hoping he doesn’t wake up and find me searching around, looking as suspicious as fuck.

In defeat, I go back downstairs, leaning against the door to the living room and gazing upon Kade’s safely sleeping figure. My eyes flicker over the back right jean pocket, where I see a slither of silver sticking out at the top. Shit.

I need to do this. I make my way slowly over to Kade, hoping that none of the floor boards decide to be bitchy today, which, thankfully, they don’t. When I reach him, I take the phone from his pocket quickly, thanking my lucky stars when he doesn’t move. Before he has the chance to do anything, I leave the room.

Halfway up the stairs, I hear his groggy voice, full of sleepiness. “Justin, come back.”

Shit, shit, shit.

Instead of answering, I continue upstairs, hoping that I can get away with making this one call before Kade finds me and starts the interrogation of why I have his phone now, who I’m calling, and all that jazz. I slip into my bedroom, closing the door behind me and dialling the number I know all too well.

I’m whispering her name over and over to myself, “Sophie, pick up.”

Eventually (after what feels like a torturously long amount of time which I really don’t have to spare right now), Sophie picks up the phone, only to be greeted by my loud whispers of, “ Have you sorted everything out yet?”

She gives some sarcastic reply about her only being human. Typically, she continues on with all this crap about how she can’t be expected to do everything for me, just because she’s one of my best friends. Apparently, she has a life of her own, meaning that she may not have had time to prepare everything. I, of course, immediately call her bluff.

“Thanks Sophie, I love you for this!” I hang up quickly, exiting my bedroom and making my way downstairs to see whether or not Kade has woken up yet. On my way into the living room, I find myself walking into a sleepy Kade, rubbing his eyes, a look of bewilderment automatically coming over his features. I hug him, trying to slip his phone back into his pocket without any suspicion (which I do... I’m a ninja). “Morning sunshine, I was just about to ask what you want for breakfast.” Normally, I wouldn’t lie, but it wouldn’t exactly be a surprise if I told him everything now, would it?