I'm Not Crazy

If I'd been just a split second faster, she'd still be alive. I'd taken the back route home from college, it was shorter and I didn't want to walk too far. Within minutes of walking the sky clouded over and the first rumble came. I sighed heavily, we'd had a lot of thuderstorms lately and I was sick of them. I pulled my jacket over my head, preparing myself for the rain that was sure to come. The rain came in heavy sheets and I ducked under a roof, cursing myself for missing the bus. Thats when I saw her.

I almost missed her, she was so high up, a faint outline in the fog. She was standing on top of some old abandoned scaffolding, staring at the ground. I sprang up and shouted up at her. She jumped in shock and looked down at me,

"Go away!" She yelled. The idea sounded very appealing but I knew I had to help her.

"Come down from there!" I coaxed her

"N-No, I'm not, I can't..." She stuttered

"Do you want me to come up and get you?" I asked

Without waiting for an answer I braved the rain and began to steadily climb the scaffolding.

"Don't come up!" She sounded on the verge of tears, "Go away!"

I ignored her pleas and carried on climbing, when I reached the top I stood up with trembling legs and held out my hand to her.

"Come down with me?" I asked kindly

She raised her head and stared at me with fearful eyes. I edged forward, my hand still held out to her.

"Don't come any closer!" She pleaded "I'll come to you, j-just stay there."

I stopped moving forwards and she smiled timidly. At that very moment a bright jolt of lightening ripped through the sky. The girl jumped, lost her footing and stumbled backwards, right off the edge of the scaffolding. Her screams jolted me back to life and I ran forwards just in time to see her body hit the floor. She was dead.