It's What You Do Best

Wow, you guys really liked the first chapter! Thank you so much! Your feedback is what keeps me going<3

"No fucking way! Jacks!" Zacky dropped the pool stick on the table and sprinted over to his cousin.

I stood there, shocked to see her looking as beautiful as ever. I guess getting away from her life here in California really did go well with her.

Before I knew it, everyone was with Jackie towards the entrance. William, the guy playing against Zacky, and I were the only guys in the pool table area. I hadn't came out of my shock yet, and to be honest, I didn't want to.

"... Wooo-hooo! Finally, now we can celebrate Jimmy's birthday the right way!" I heard Matt say, getting everyone to cheer.

William hopped off the high chair and stood beside me. "Isn't that the girl that ran out at that one wedding? And she like embarrassed the shit out of you?" He asked.

I looked to him and nodded, taking a swig of my now empty beer bottle, "Yuuuuuup. Good ol' Jackie." I placed the bottle on the table and sat where Michelle was once sitting. I really didn't want to go greet Jackie. I had just accepted the fact that she was gone for good but as always, here she comes strolling into our lives again.

Everyone looked really happy to see her and she looked really happy to see everyone. I shook my head, focusing on the floor.

Jackie and Marlene took the table in front of me, against the wall. She ran her hand through her hair and smiled at what I assume something Marlene said.

I popped a peanut into my mouth, chewing it slowly as if I didn't even want it. I picked up my beer, thinking I still had something in there. Disappointment set in when I realized it was empty.

Gena, Val and Michelle pulled chairs up to Jackie's table. I wasn't trying to look at her because I'd most likely get depressed about her. She's probably just here to fuck with my feelings more and I'm not really in the mood for that.

The clamour of voices and music began to rise as I threw my head in my hands. "You okay?" Lacey asked sitting down in front of me.

I shot my head up and smiled at her, "Yeah. I'm fine. I just have a headache. I think it's my emotions getting beat up because it's Jimmy's birthday and stuff like that."

"Hmm." She hummed and picked up her drink from the table, "I don't think it's because of that Brian. I think it's because Ja-"

"Don't say her name please." I lifted my hand, urging her to stop, "It is in a way. But for right now, I just need to close my eyes and imagine she isn't here."

She stood up, "Suit yourself." She walked over to Johnny who was adjacent to the pool table.

I watched her walk away and hop into Johnny's arms. They're so in love, makes me sick. I thought to myself, "Freaks." I mumbled.

Suddenly, I felt a pressure headache come on. It was so bad I closed my eyes. A moment later, a beautiful voice spoke up. I thought it was an angel. I opened my eyes and saw Jackie standing, leaning against the table with her elbow, "Are you okay?"

I laughed above my breath, "I'm fine. How are you? You look great." Nice one Brian, nice one. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut when I'm trying to show someone I hate them.

"I'm doing great. I'm sorry I haven't called you or tex-"

I held my hand up, "Don't even start with that. This is my best friend's birthday gathering. The last thing I need from you is a fight okay? Just go back with the girls and keep to yourself. I'm going to get a beer." I replied tactlessly. I grabbed the empty beer bottle and hopped of the chair.