The Bachelor

Prologue

It is typical for a rich young bachelor to come into a neat, civilized town filled with fresh beautiful peasants as well as typical girls in search for a man with much pay.

It is also very natural for an old, wrinkly, wealthy man to come along. And those women who do not distribute the best of looks – can only hope the old raggedy men take them, for any women of any kind is nothing without a man.

And only the girls who held the most beauty was chosen by the richest, youngest, handsomest man with the greatest of manners. And if you ever so happen to be one of those girls – every girl envied you for your beauty, the clothes you wore, the man that was yours, your house, jewelry, your smooth little children.

So when a new bachelor came to town, everyone knew exactly what he was looking for. And every girl had to get her best dresses and makeup on to impress the young man. And by the end of the summer, he was to choose.

Chapter One

‘’Oh, Chastity, did you hear of the new Bachelor coming into town? He’s supposed to be arriving today!’’ Lilly said, clasping her hands together with much delight. ‘’He’s tall, handsome…and rich!’’ She sighed at her dreamy description.

Chastity rolled her eyes. ‘’Lilly, don’t get yourself too worked up over this…bachelor. You know Mama and Papa don’t have much money to spend for beautiful dresses. Especially on you, Lilly, you troublemaker.’’ She gave out a smooth, crystal-like chuckle as she watched from afar some old raggedy men play poker with dark, rusty chips.

‘’Ugh, they cannot be so cheap! After all, this is the bachelor we’re discussing.’’ She stopped as she gazed deeply into a baby blue dress by a window of a shop.

Chuckling, Chastity rested both of her hands on her sister’s smooth shoulder blades. ‘’I pity you, Lilly.’’

Lilly turned to face Chastity, a now serious expression spread across her serene features. Chastity’s grin faded into a pursed line. ‘’Chastity…do you think I’m beautiful? Do you think the bachelor will chose me?’’

‘’Oh, Lilly!’’ Chastity gasped, grabbing Lilly’s hand and wrapping her own thin wire-like fingers around her hand, ‘‘you can’t possibly not believe you’re beautiful. You are, don’t you ever let anyone tell you any different. This is the wrong state of mind, Lilly. It is unhealthy for you. I’m sure he will see you as an angel from above.’’

Lilly forced a weak smile, and then morphed the smile into a sly grin. ‘’Do you think he will chose you?’’

Chastity removed her hand swiftly from Lilly’s and sighed. ‘’Well…I don’t think I’ll be spending much time around him…’’

‘’Oh, but Chastity! Mama and Papa would love for you to try and win his heart!’’ Lilly gripped her hands around Chastity’s wrists.

‘’Don’t you…want his heart?’’ Chastity asked shyly.

‘’Oh, to Mama and Papa, they don’t care which of their daughters are chosen. One is enough for them. If he chooses you, I can always come along for the next one. I’m still young.’’ She laughed at her end sentence. Chastity could not help but flash a sleek smile.

‘’We better get home to Mama and Papa. It’s getting dark outside – they’ll worry. And then you’ll never be able to win the gentlemen’s heart!’’ The sisters both laughed warmhearted laughs, and skipped their way back to their home.

* * *

Luke gazed outside of the foggy carriage window at the clean, organized town. He’d never seen such a tabulated town as this one. It was beautiful. It was fresh – it was pure.

He had known as soon as he had entered the town – as well kept, as it was, that many young girls and women must crowd this area. After all, men rarely ever spruced, he thought.

The carriage stopped smoothly, onto an open hill. Above this hill, lay such a big house it was – a mansion. The driver had opened his carriage door for him, bowing in respect as Luke stepped out.

Luke inhaled a deep aroma of air – the air was fresh, and it smelled of blooming flowers and women’s perfume. Oh how he loved the scent of women’s perfume. Smiling to his personal delight, he walked toward the house.

An old man with snow-white hair came walking through the door with open arms. He was a well-dressed man – a man of much wealth.

‘’Papa!’’ Luke called, as he spread his arms for a tender yet manly hug for his father. His father let out a rusty laugh, and led him inside of the house.

Turning around, his father took his hand into his old and rather wrinkly skin. His skin was still soft -- soft and vulnerable. ‘’Son, I see you’ve come for a woman to settle down with. It won’t be hard…the women here are very flattering, with wit, and charm. Perfect for the man you’ve become in search of a woman.’’

Luke chuckled. ‘’Oh of course. It seems to me there are many to chose from.’’

Chuckling along with him, his father added, ‘’Yes, but there is always that one girl who stands out. And be aware…many will be a pest to you.’’ He sighed. ‘’In my earlier days, there were a lot of pests to be aware of. The women were desperate back then. I’m sure that they have eased up on such behavior.’’

Luke nodded silently.

‘’Well, we’ll carry this discussion on during dinner. In the meantime, I’ll have Mary lead you to your bedroom.’’ The fragile man, hugged his son tightly one more time, and walked up the left flight of stairs.

Maria, the peasant, was standing next to the two for quite some time, and Luke was startled when he saw her smile up at him. Her teeth were rather filthy, and he had wondered if his father cared for his peasant at all. She had gold yellow circle around her already faint yellow stained teeth. Her right front was knocked out. Had his father beaten her?

The girl looked about 13, a very young one. Luke noticed her matted hair and the old rags she wore. She also wore torn and dirty slippers and smelled of rotting fish. Luke looked at her sympathetically, and her expression went from welcoming to confused. She nodded once and walked the right flight of stairs.

Luke followed her quietly. ‘’Um, Maria, it is?’’ He asked her. Without turning back, she nodded once.

Luke tried to keep as much distance as he could from Maria – for the smell stung his nose. He wondered why his father would keep such a stench walking around this house – and on her.

‘’Well, Maria, do you talk at all?’’ He had to raise his voice a little bit higher from the distance.

Maria turned to look at him this time. She shook her head roughly. He nodded.

Maria opened a door leading to Luke’s bedroom. It was a neat, well-organized room. It smelled of fresh linen. Yet the strong scent of rotting fish from Maria seemed to find its way and peek through the admirable smell.

Maria stepped forward in front of Luke and pointed to the bathing towels stacked on his bed, along with a silk mahogany robe that lay next to the pile. She looked to Luke to seek his response.

He bowed with respect. ‘’Thank you,’’ He spoke. Maria looked at him fondly…not in a friendly way, but something more. Luke shuddered uncomfortably. After admiring him, she left the room.

Luke stuffed his hands smoothly into the silk pockets of his pants, glaring at the view from his window. As he gazed, he had hoped that not much of the girls were like Maria. But he had thought. Maybe there was much more to Maria. Maybe his father had beaten her and her beauty faded.

The sun shone on his gentle features, as he sought to seek the beauty of Maria for just once.