SAMPLE - Chapter Two

A SUDDEN CHILL SWEEPS THROUGH ME, AS IF A COLD wind has somehow cut through the closed windows. Time seems to stop and doubt settles in, knowing there is no way he could possibly be serious.

Thirty thousand dollars.

Suddenly, I find myself fantasizing about what I could do with that kind of money. I could leave the country, and fly to a paradise island, sipping a coconut rum drink on the beach. I could pay off some of my debt, presenting myself the perfect opportunity to get back on my feet. I could invest in something, buy myself a used yet reliable vehicle, and I could catch up on my rent. There's so much I could do; it's simply endless.

My heart is pulsating and my blood turns to jet fuel. My body activates a heighted state of mental and physical awareness, yet I feel disconnected from everything but the ever-present sound of my drumming heart.

"I've been invited to attend my sister's wedding in California. I've announced that I've gotten engaged a few months back, to get my loving yet overbearing parents off my back, and in doing so I've put myself into a bit of a situation. My supposed fiancé is now invited to attend as my date, and of course I'd rather have someone play along than to admit my deceit."

Everything around me begins to spin.

"Is this a joke?" I ask, doubtful. "You seriously have thirty grand just lying around to give away?"

"Edwards. Jaxon Edwards," he says, briefly hesitating to see if it rings any bells. I remain quiet, staring at him, dumbfounded. "I'm the CEO of Edwards Enterprises, along with several other corporations worldwide."

"Several?"

He nods.

I laugh. "What are you, a millionaire?"

"Billionaire, precisely."

My jaw drops.

"I need someone to pose as my fiancé for the six months I'll be in California. We'll make appearances as needed, attend the wedding, and after the six months is up, you'll return home with thirty thousand. I believe that's a fair deal in exchange for your time."

"California is pretty far."

"It's where my family lives. I own a house there on the beach."

"For six months?" I ask.

He crookedly grins. "Are you interested?"

"Yes," I rush out.

Yes, yes, yes.

"Let's make this more interesting, then. Shall we?"

My heart hammers.

"Tell me what you know about the BDSM community," he says, his voice low.

Stirring in my seat, I fidget with my hands on my lap. BDSM? Well, I know I've watched a few intense pornos on the matter. It reminds me of the time I once was asked to belittle a man during sex. He was turned on by being degraded, and even asked me to tell him that his parents never loved him.

Shaking the memory away, my cheeks become flushed.

"Bondage, kinky sex. Sadism. Does that sound about right?"

"Any personal experience?" he asks.

"No," I begin, barely any sound to my voice. "I don't have experience, but what exactly does this have to do with anything?"

Jaxon remains silent, watching me vigilantly.

Finally, it clicks.

Holy shit.