Chapter 47 Zayn Left One Direction

Warning: long chapter (over 5k words).

Chapter 47: Zayn Left One Direction

I sat eating caramel corn while the people around me shouted at the players on the school field. It was a bright and sunny day--perfect for a soccer match.

". . . Rexle captain has the ball. Never mind. The Smithson captain has it now! He came in like a wrecking ball!" Devin was doing the commentary earning laughs from everyone. I watched the field and tried to figure out what was even going on. Sweaty boys were chasing after one ball. "Ooh the Smithsons are getting closer to their goal. Is this gonna work for them or will the Rexle goalie save it? And the ball is kicked!" We all saw the ball going towards the goalie of my school. "Goal!" How sad. And expected. "Smithson is at one! Rexle still at zero!"

"What a surprise," some girl muttered next to me. "We're gonna lose again." She seemed to be talking to herself, so I didn't contribute anything.

I kept eating my food and thought about going over to Devin, Megan, and Piper. It wouldn't really do me any good. Sighing, I watched Lucas and his team shouting back and forth at each other. Following the same strategy they have been using for the past couple of years. The perfect recipe for failure.

"...what strategy does the Rexle team have in mind? They do realize that the Smithson team is going to win yet again, right?" That earned the calculator a lot of complaints. "Sorry. Sorry. Geez. So defensive. I am only a calculator!" I rolled my eyes. "Oh dam- I mean oh digits! It's half-time!"

Everyone moved off the bleachers to go to the concessions stand or bathrooms or . . . I don't know. I took my popcorn and went to tell my school team to do better.

Not really.

They needed to know how much they sucked.

The whole team was under the bleachers, yelling and fighting. I stood in the back and waited for them to finish up. The coach was talking to the referee about something.

"Hey, no girls here!" some kid shouted at me.

"Then why are you here, Sam?" Lucas retorted. Well. I was pleased to see him defending me but now wasn't the time.

"Don't mess with the captain's girlfriend," some mumbled.

"Sandy, ignore them," Lucas told me which wasn't necessary. Most of the guys on the team were knuckleheads, so I ignored them already.

"Will do. Just wanted to drop by and say that stop letting the Smithsons do divide and rule," I told them. I had to get it off my chest. It was my last year of school.

"Wait, they're British?" someone asked.

A couple of guys threw Julian awkward looks, but Julian was looking straight at me. "They are purposefully aligned in a way that allows them to have our players alone, aren't they?" Even the foreign guy noticed. What were my teammates doing? "It's irritating having them all around one person and separating other players out too far. The gaps are tremendous."

"It's been happning for the past three years at least," I nodded.

"But they change their positions around all the time. That gets confusing," Lucas said.

"No, they change players. The positions are still the same," I corrected him. "If you have the ball, they will put the best player of theirs around you."

"Coach Dally said--" Lucas began.

"No, Lucas," Julian interjected, "there is something wrong with the coach. I can't point out what exactly but he avoids talking about the other team's strategies." Well, wasn't that fishy. I never liked Coach Dally in the first place. He hated me in gym class freshmen year. Made me run so many laps.