Chapter 5

Chapter 5

“Tee,” Cruz looked at me, dazed, “You can borrow my book if you forgot yours.”

“I already gave her mine,” Zack snapped at him.

I let out a little chuckle, “Thanks anyways Cruz…”

Cruz gazed at me for a minute longer and then went back to his seat sadly.

“Now if you all are through offering your history books to Tiana, can we start with the lesson?” grumpy Mr. Kingsley scolded.

I had never hated history more. Mr. Kingsley was one mean middle-aged man. He fed on students’ fear, it seemed. It was a wonder that the poor students did not melt under his glare. Mr. Kingsley walked stealthily, trying to find a student to scream at. That seemed like his only aim in life.

I tried to concentrate on the assignment given by Mr. Kingsley as Zack whispered, “Hey Tee…”

I looked up at the cute guy sitting next to me, “Yes?”

“There’s this amazing play going on at the ‘Spark Auditorium’…would you care to see it with me this evening?” he asked expectantly.

“Uh…I have a date with Blaze,” I told him hesitating.

Usually when I don’t mind going out on different dates in one day but this time it was Blaze I was playing with. My plan would come off even if I committed a single mistake. It was difficult to turn down Zack as well…let’s put it this way, no sane girl would ever say no for a date with him. He was handsome and popular…and hey, he was caring too. I could two-time him with Blaze later on. But at this time, I just wanted Blaze to be hooked.

The pleasant expression on his face turned to a sour one as he said, “Tee…that boy.” He shook his head grimly.

“What Zack?” I asked interested. I could probably learn a lot about Blaze from him since they were friends. I could learn about things that even Stacy didn’t know…you know, the things that were discussed privately in the boy’s gym locker room.

“He’s my friend…so I don’t know how to put it,” Zack said uncomfortably.

“It’s fine, whatever you tell me stays between us.”

“Blaze…he isn’t very stable with girls. He uses them and throws them away when he finds another one. Or at times he uses 3-4 girls all at the same time. I don’t how he manages to keep so many girls happy at one time.”

“Oh,” I tried to look shocked.

“Listen,” he held my hand and looked into my eyes adoringly. “I know it hasn’t been much time but I really like you.”

 He blushed a little and waited for a reply. My reply was obvious, “I like you too.” I placed my hand on his hand and squeezed it lightly.

“Then the date with Blaze?” he asked puzzled.

“Oh that,” I waved my hand as if that date meant nothing, “You know that I like you back. I guess...I just want to get familiar with more people in school that’s why I’m going on a date with him.”

He nodded his head understandingly and grinned like a little boy.

The situation was completely reversed here. Usually it was the boy who made the girl hang on…they have been doing it for ages. This time it was my turn.

***

“What do you mean?” Marylyn was carefully painting her toenails red.

“I have to go over to my partner's house to work on the history project,” I lied hoping she would buy it.