Chapter 45

Copyright 2015 © Elena Sgro

All Rights Reserved

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Chapter 45:

I watched from my bedroom window as Gino's car pulled away. Wrapping my arms around myself I felt a slight chill. The sense of being alone wasn't a comforting one as I had once thought it would be.

My house felt eerie now, almost uninhabited. It was sad that it felt like this after all the months of memories captured here. The family parties I'd hosted, the amount of sleepovers Adrianna and I had. It was heart braking to think that this is now what my house had resorted to. Dusty shelves and new unused furniture down stairs to replace what had been destroyed during the shooting.

Shivering I moved towards my wardrobe. Even though I had been perms rely living at D'Angelo's for a few months not all of my clothes had been moved there and I was thankful when I found my favourite cream knit jacket. It brought me so much comfort with how soft and warm it was and though I never wore it out it was always one of my little indulgence during the colder months. I knew it sounded silly, to be indulging it a jacket but when I was single it was a warm comfort I had found when there wasn't a warm body to embrace me.

Sighing I realised how pathetic I was. Reminiscing over a fucken jacket because I had been lonely, and after D'Angelo had professed his love for me of all times! I shouldn't be here by myself. I should be there with him. I should be making love to him on that damn hospital bed and yet I couldn't open my bloody mouth and just express how I felt.

Curling up on my bed I pulled the nearest pillow towards me and wrapped myself around it. Tears started to leak from my eyes and I bit my lip pulling in a shaky breath. I had no idea why I was crying, I didn't want to cry anymore but I felt holo. Something just wasn't right. Crushing my pillow against my chest I reached over to my bedside table and grabbed my phone. Automatically I found myself dialling Santo's number.

It had been so long since I had heard from him. So long since I had spoken to him and I felt horrible. After the shooting I had all this time to contact him and hadn't. He was far from injured and I hadn't even called to see if he was okay. I had been a coward and waited on information about him from

D'Angelo. It was time I called my brother even if it was only to cry over the phone. He had always been my safe zone. Before D'Angelo had come along I would always call Santo to vent about what bothered me or if I was upset. He was one of the few people who knew everything besides Adrianna, Nonna and my mother. But because of D'Angelo I had pulled away from.

I held my breath as the phone rang. I prayed that it wouldn't go to voice mail. That he wouldn't reject my call because he was angry with me. He had every right to be angry with me, after all I was the reason he got shot but I still hoped he would answer the phone.

My breath caught in my throat as his voice sounded over the line.

"Kira"

I couldn't speak, the tears began to flow vigorously everything from the last few months came rushing out. The worry over my brother, the heart ache from missing my family. Not knowing if everyone was okay, not speaking to them. My heart ached as it all flew out sobs escaping my lips as I cried into the phone.

"Talk to me Kira, whats wrong"

"Oh Santo" I found myself blubbering. I couldn't say anything more, I just pressed my ear closer to the phone and listened to his breathing.

"We love you Kira, come home sweetheart"

"I can't leave him Santo. I won't" my voice shook as I held back tears that were threatening to fall.