Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

The house was quiet and no maids was around when Lissa came in. The front door was unlocked and she frowned upon that. Her ice-cold, sophisticated husband Lucca de Antonio was not one to leave things open, especially when it came to the safety and security of his own home. She turned the alarm off and closed the door behind her. The mansion was eerily reticent. During their nearly two years of marriage; the house had never had dirt or anything filthy around the house. Lissa chucked her keys on the hallway drawer and went to the kitchen. It was unoccupied; she checked the fridge to see if it was filled with food the way she had kept it when she still used to live in this house. She gasped when only a half-filled carton of milk was in the fridge along with a few vegetables. There wasn’t any gluten or carbs that a man like Lucca could eat and she wondered if her husband was starving himself. It was so unlike him to do that, not her stubborn and hard-headed husband. She shook the idea out of her head and refused to pity him. The last thing she wanted was to go back to being a doormat. She took the flight of stairs two at a time and stopped in their bedroom.

Her old bedroom she used to sleep in, her subconscious shouted in her head. It was time for her to move on and in order to do that; she had to face the husband she was going to be divorcing and get and convince him to sign the papers she had sent. She knocked gingerly and waited for him to answer. Nothing. She tried again and again. Still, Lucca did not answer. Slowly, as if she were in a horror movie, slid the door open and see if the room was deserted. It was.

A pang of guilt and another emotion burst in her chest. Where was he? Had something bad happened to him? She didn’t want to think about that and checked the bathroom but he wasn’t there. Next stop, she looked in the other vacant rooms but it was also the same as it was the others. Then Lissa remembered to go onto his office. He’d always been there working just to avoid running into her whenever he was home. Head casted up, she sought him out and found him sitting on a chair in front of his desk. The image of her husband concerned and shocked her.

His hair had grown and a strand of thick mane fell across his forehead. His head was down and hidden by the crook of his arm, a brown liquid was filled in a glass. Never in a lifetime, had Lissa saw Lucca drink before. There were times when he smelled like alcohol but he tried as best as he could no to show it. He wasn’t a big drinker but it looked like it was his medication when it came to his problems. She swallowed hard and approached him. He didn’t steer from his posture, his shirt was undone and he was wearing a pair of khaki shorts; something she’d never seen him wear before. Her husband seemed to be full of surprises today and stacks of papers was thrown all over the table he slept him. He wasn’t a clean-freak but he definitely prepared having a tidy, neat office where he could be organized and find everything he needed. She reached out and touched his hair, pulling back when he moved and Lissa, for one moment, thought she woke him up. Then it was silence again and she went back to stroke his hair. A droplet of clear liquid of her pooled at the back of her eyes; it bunched until it fell down her cheeks. Why couldn’t this beautiful man ever love her the way she loved him? What does this Pauline had that she didn’t?

Everything.

Lissa pressed her lips together from crying out. She didn’t want to disturb this man and had just made-up her mind about coming back when a stone-built hand lifted and caged hers underneath his. She stepped back but her fingers was still ensnared by another. “Lucca,” she whispered, wiping the tears away. She didn’t want to look desperate and weak, yet she broke one of her promises again. Coming here was a mistake.

Cara,” that endearment nearly broke her heart. Lucca’s voice was husky and he looked sleep-depraved. “What are you doing here?” his words were highlighted with his Italian accent but it still managed to sound sexy in her ears.