ONE

The first thing Francesco noticed was the warmth of the sunlight spilling in between his sheer cream curtains hanging on the floor-to-ceiling windows in his bedroom. The sheer panels danced as the light breeze flooded into the bedroom.

Francesco lay still enjoying the few seconds of peace and clarity before he woke up because his average day was anything but peaceful. Francesco stretched, his limbs stretching across the California king-sized bed that he lay in the middle of, as usual.

As lonely as it was, it was preferred. It was rare for Francesco to ever have a woman over, and in the small chance he did, they never slept in his bed.

Francesco reached for his phone, checking for any messages or missed calls, besides his nuisance of a brother.

Francesco's elder brother Giuseppe was a difficult man to tolerate. Born four years before Francesco, Giuseppe was a hover personality.

He would call Francesco numerous times a day, constantly trying to insert his opinion on any action Francesco chooses to make. The new thing he was pressing was for Francesco to marry.

As old fashion as it was, it was very common in their family for the men to be already married when they take over, but Francesco had taken over three years ago and never had the time to begin courting a woman, let alone preparing a wedding. He had decided to cut his losses long ago.

Checking the list of missed calls, they all came down to one person, Giuseppe Deluca.

Francesco picked up his phone and hit the redial button one single time before listening to the phone chime.

While he waited, he made his way over to the bathroom to relieve himself, Giuseppe answered.

"Ciao, you're finally awake!" Giuseppe's voice calls from the other side of the phone, loud and booming as usual.

"It's seven in the morning," Francesco grumbled back to the man on the phone.

Francesco caught a glance of himself in the mirror, his tall strong frame nearly touching the top of the mirror. He had stubble decorating his lower jaw.

The white tank he had fallen asleep in provided contrast from his olive-colored skin. Francesco picked up his toothbrush and began brushing as Giuseppe began to speak.

"Early bird catches the worm, or so they say." Giuseppe said, "But listen, what will you be doing tomorrow around seven?"

Francesco adjusted his toothbrush, so he could speak, "Why?"

"I'm away in the States currently and I will return tomorrow. I'm bringing you your guest." Giuseppe explained.

Oh right, Francesco thought, his guest.

No matter how far Francesco pushed himself away from his family's old-school traditions, he couldn't do it anymore.

It would never be worth losing everything. Francesco has worked for his position his entire life; it was all he ever knew. But he knew that marrying someone, even though an arrangement such as this, was a large commitment.

Even with both parties knowing that it was fake, he would still be forced to see this woman every day of his life. He would be forced to make nice and cordial.

Francesco wasn't completely opposed to the idea either, he has spent the large majority of his single life alone. He had tried falling in love before, but it hadn't ended in his favor. Francesco grabbed his toothbrush, applying the appropriate amount of paste onto it before brushing.

Giuseppe could be heard faintly on the phone that Francesco left on the sink purposely to tune his brother out.

While he was busy playing matchmaker, Francesco had bigger issues to deal with. He had found that there was an informant in his troops, but someone not reporting to the police, but to Francesco's very own competition.