Chapter 5: Vampires come out at night

Chapter 5 – Vampires come out at night

Giselle opened her eyes slowly not knowing where she was. A bright light stood before her. Her entire body felt sore and her mind felt numb. Am I dead?  She thought.

Giselle focused her vision to realize that the bright light in front of her was the lamp across the room. Everything else was pure darkness. She saw a window in the distance revealing the night sky.

The nurse’s office was small with one bed that Giselle happened to be laying on. There was a dresser on the side with pain killers and medicines on top of it. The walls were a bright white.

Giselle began to sit up when she realized a chair at the far right with someone sitting there. It was too dark to make out who it was.

"Who's there?" She spoke, her voice making a sharp scrape through the cold silence.

"A-Are you alright?" The voice answered.

"Isaac?" Giselle questioned. "What are you doing here?"

Instantly the lights came on to reveal Isaac across the room next to the light switch. He gave her a sympathetic smile before sitting back at the chair.

"I had to check on you." He muttered.

She sighed. "What’s wrong with me anyway?"

"How do you feel?"

"My mind, it feels numb and my entire body feels drained and sore."

"Ah." He said. "You burnt your powers out, right now you're powerless."

"What?" She asked exasperated. "So my powers are gone."

He shook his head. "Relax, No, you just have to rest for a couple days, they’ll come back."

There was an awkward silence.

"How old are you?" She asked.

"Sixteen." He muttered. "I'll be seventeen in a couple months."

Giselle nodded before the nurses door open revealing a plump woman dressed in all white. She walked in and stared at Giselle for a moment before smiling.

"How do you feel?" The woman said. "I'm nurse Octavia."

"Drained and hungry." Giselle muttered.

"Well I'll just do a couple tests than you can go to the food court with Isaac, if you wish." The nurse said. "But you must come right back, you need to stay here for a couple days, so you can recharge."

Giselle nodded feeling pathetic. She not only was drained from her elements but also needed a body guard or a baby sitter just to get some food. Indeed, she felt like a child.

"What day was it," The nurse asked. "The day of your battle, what was the date?"

Giselle hesitated. "A um, Wednesday."

Nodding the nurse took a small flashlight and examined Giselle's eyes.

"You seem fine enough besides being sore." The nurse said. "And obvious side effects, you can go."

Giselle followed Isaac out the building into the night air outside. A sharp wind came across them as they walked on the campus. Isaac's hair would move in the wind occasionally ever so graceful.

"So why'd you have to check on me?" Giselle asked sarcastically.

Isaac cocked an eyebrow. "I felt obligated to, for one, I am the one who did this to you."