TP&TW Part 1

The sun burned high in the cloudless sky scorching the Boy's luminous skin. The Boy sat huddled on the burnt red, dusty ground, applying a thick, fragrant paste he had prepared earlier, to two violent, crimson puncture holes on his forearm that spoilt his otherwise flawless ivory skin.

The Boy was engrossed in the task at hand; he gingerly tended his own wound, flinching as his concoction made contact with his injury. The wind provided a momentary respite from the relentless rays of the sun. The Boy raised his face to embrace the breeze and noticed that the wind had swept up a curious golden dust that moved in a manner both mesmerising and frightening.

The Boy watched in disbelief as the golden dust continued its strange dance and he gasped aloud as a shape began to form. The dust swirled in concentric circles around a central, oval shaped object that upon closer inspection resembled an egg. The circles of dust accelerated and the object in the centre became a pure white light that hurt the Boy's eyes.

He was forced to look away, when his gaze returned the white light had been replaced by an eruption of vibrant colours. Red and orange battled each other for centre stage until the friction of the dance became too much for the circles to bear; with an explosion that relayed no sound a magnificent creature emerged.

The ointment that before was so precious to the Boy lay abandoned on the torched dirt. Although the Boy had no recollection of doing so, he was standing facing the most beautiful sight he had ever witnessed in his short life.

The Boy's eyes hungrily consumed the precious image before him. The impressive sharp talons of the elegant feet that stood majestically on the scorched earth, effortlessly supporting an extraordinary body covered in the most magnificent, exquisite coloured feathers, gold, copper, amber and rubies glistened under the merciless sun. A proud chest thrust forward displaying a breathtaking slash of gorgeous orange feathers.

The Boy could see an identical flash of orange in a plush tail that was swaying rhythmically behind the creature. The Boy was afraid to continue his upward observation; he knew once he looked upon the creature's face he would discover a friend or a foe.

However, he was too weak to fight his own curiosity and he found his way up a long elegant, bronze scaled neck to a scarlet mouth which had never been used for malice and amber eyes that could see more than the observed desired.

"You are disturbed." The creature informed the Boy; the accuracy of this statement awakened the Boy from his reverie.

"Who are you?"

"I am Hiro."

"What are you?"

"I am a Phoenix."

A silence fell, "You are disturbed." The Phoenix repeated. The Boy had to a make a decision, he chose trust. "People in my Village are dying, I know why, but no one will listen." The Phoenix looked intently at the Boy. "You must speak what has to be spoken, come, together we will approach."