Instinct.

Before this life, I was happy. My parents were both successful and I had friends.

That was before the attack.

 No-one expected my family to be the ones they chose. The attacks where frequent, they always chose one person to live, usually the one they’d only just started on before they were caught. I was that one. I had to be been transferred to many families over the years, staying safely until instinct took over, or they found out my secret.

As I sat at the adoption agency, for the millionth time, James came up to me. “What did you do this time, Alexis?” he asked. I sighed.

James had been my agent for almost a lifetime. He was quite old, grey hair, always in a suit, and always serious. He was one of my adopted brothers when I was younger. I had been  in this body for over two hundred years. I was born in 1803, the 1st of December. I was only sixteen when it  happened, which made me stay the same age forever.

“Nothing that I can say here.” I replied.

He sighed, “Come on then.” He walked off into his office and I followed slowly behind him. He sighed again and sat down. “So, what?” he asked.

“This one smelt too good, I mean, what was I supposed to do? He was always hanging around and was clingy-“

“He was four, Alexis!” he interrupted.

“I know, I know. The younger they are, the better they smell. Why do you keep putting me with younger children! If you really cared, you’d put me with someone my own age. I know it’s hard to do, but I need someone my age, who’s... blood has developed and doesn’t smell as good as toddlers. James, please, I’m over two hundred years old, and I still haven’t gotten used to the scent.”

“Alexis, I’ve gotten you into a house with a teenager. He’s sixteen.” He said. I leaned forward, interested, “I told the parents about... you, and they told him as well.” I gaped at the old man, stunned. “You leave now, grab your bags and get into the car.”

“How far?”  I asked.

“It’s only half an hour.”

“Can I drive?” I asked.

“Alexis, your only sixteen, if you get caught driving, we’d get a ticket. Again.”

“No, James, I’m two hundred and seven.” I said as we pulled into their driveway.

A boy ran out of the house, waving his hand over his head. I stepped out and his jaw dropped. Apparently, I looked good to him. Then his scent hit me. I almost fell; it was that strong. Even so, I had to put a hand over my mouth to smother it. He understood.

“Oh, gosh, I'm sorry, does it smell that bad? I’ve tried to do something to make it seem dull, but I guess I made it worse.”  He stammered.

I shook my head. “The opposite... its ... excellent.

And that’s when instinct took over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, this is a rip off of A Vampires First Love, but i had to have a 500 word story in for creative writing, and so i cut it down and tweaked it.

I like it though.