Chapter 8: The Plan

[TRIS' POV]
Marcus
I hear him before I see him. He shuffles before me and kneels in front of the chair I've been strapped to. He smiles. "Now, Tris. I know you're quite aggressive when you want to be, so if I untie a wrist to give you this sandwich, I expect compliance. Deal?" I give him a look of disgust. He hasn't told me yet why he's kidnapped me. "Okay, I can eat it myself if you don't want it." He shrugs and starts to stand, knowing how hungry I must be. I never got dinner out of the oven last night. "Fine, Marcus. Just give me the damn sandwich. I don't want to play your games." I roll my eyes and he nods, bends down and takes my right arm out of its bind. He hands me the sandwich, some sort of white meat, and walks away. "I'm brewing coffee, want some?" I take a bite of the sandwich, not even stopping to wonder if he tampered with it. "No. I have medicine I need to take." I inquire, and he approaches me. "Prenatal vitamins. Am I correct?" I nearly spit my food out. "How do you...?" He smiles. "Ever since my son decided to exclude me from his life, I've taken it upon myself to be in it. You live in this building, right next door." He walks to the other end of the room and takes a mural of the city off of the nail it hangs on. A one way mirror. I gasp. On this side of the wall, a window, and in our apartment, a mirror. Tobias, Christina, Uriah, Zeke, and Shauna are all in our living room, looking distressed. I can't hear what they are saying, though. It must be about me. They are looking for me. "Why are you doing this?" I ask Marcus, turning my head away from the window. "To show Tobias that he never should have disowned me. He doesn't realize what power I have." He shrugs and sips his coffee. "You think kidnapping me will make you seem powerful? A small, pregnant, ex abnegation?" Marcus laughs. "No, I think killing you will."

[TOBIAS' POV]
I sit backwards in a dining room chair, my eyes drooping from sleep deprivation. We have all been awake since dawn, and we have no plan to find Tris. "It's just...where do we start?" Shauna says, yawning. I put my head in my hands and sigh. "I don't know." Who, alive on this earth, would want to do this? My mother? No, she's dead. And then I realize it. I hop from my chair so quickly that Uriah, who had fallen asleep on the table, jumps. "Marcus." I say simply. "What?" Christina asks. "My father. Think about it. He's the only one alive on this earth who has ammunition to do this. This is a punishment for me. I slam my fists on the table over and over again, until my knuckles hurt. "Why is it always Tris they go for?" I start slamming things. The vase of flowers Tris gave me for my birthday. Shattered. The curtains above the sink. Ripped. "Stop! You're scaring us." Christina pleads, and sets a gentle hand on my shoulder. I bury my head in my hands and pull at my hair. "I don't know where my father is. He could be anywhere. I have never been outside the fence farther than the Bureau." I say lightly, and Christina nods. "It's okay, Tobias. We'll find her."

[TRIS' POV]
Marcus leaves the mural off the wall and positions my chair in front of the window. I am constantly forced to stare at Tobias and my friends all hours of the day, and by the time Marcus gives me another sandwich for dinner, I am not hungry. "He didn't want you in his life because you beat him." I scream at Marcus after he leaves the plate at my feet. "You hit him and locked him in closets and god knows what else!" I'm crying now, and selfishly, it's for my sake. Marcus stays silent for a moment, then I hear his footsteps walk slowly over to the chair. He walks to the front of me, blocking my view through the window. I scowl. He reaches up and hits me across the face so hard, my eyes spin. I throw my fist and him but he grabs it and twists it backwards. I cry in pain. "Do not try to overpower me, little girl." He laughs maniacally. He releases my wrist and ties my wrist back to the chair. "I suppose you can miss dinner for one night." He says, and stalks off with my plate. I didn't want it anyway. I don't want to cry and allow Marcus that satisfaction. So I hold my placid expression for me, and for the baby. I doze off, and he returns later wearing a dress shirt and a nauseating cologne. I nearly gag. He makes sure my binds are tight and pats my shoulder. "I'm out to meet a friend...I'll be back...tomorrow." He isn't looking at me, he's looking at the window. Christina stands in front of it, applying makeup. "You never get used to that." Marcus chuckles. "Well, I'm off. If I'm not back for breakfast, I guess you'll just miss it." He shrugs, and walks in the opposite direction of the door. I ask him "I thought you were leaving?" He stops and there is a pause. I turn my head to meet his eyes. "I am." I raise my eyebrows. "Leaving. I can't exactly use the front door, can I? No no no, I take the fire escape." He adjusts his collar, nods, and disappears into a dark room.

[TOBIAS' POV]
"No sign of her. I looked in every inch of the building. Every floor, the roof." Zeke says. I sigh. "Figures." We have been exploring the Hancock building while Christina and Uriah pick up Hector from Christina's parents. Shauna stayed home to wait for them. "Let's move on." We walk down the last couple flights of ancient grey stairs and out the main doors. "Hey." Christina says when we get outside, bent at the waist, hands on her knees. "Anything?" I ask, hopeful. Her face falls. She shakes her head no. I nod and notice Uriah is not with her. "He went to-" she stops, taking a few deep breaths. "The old Dauntless compound." My blood turns to ice at the mention of my old faction. I nod solemnly. "We have to come up with a better plan.

TRIS' POV
My head spins. I must've hit my head against the table when I fell. Why did I fall? I knocked myself over. The chair, just an old piece of wood, broke on impact and I am able to slip my thighs out of the ropes, but my wrists are still bound behind me. I tug and tug but they don't loosen. I can't do anything but lie there. I stare at all the photos on the wall Marcus took of us, our own personal stalker, and wonder when he went mad. Then an idea hits me. I try to roll over, so I can get to my feet. Maybe I can get out. But it's no use. The back of the chair is still attached to me and I can't stand up no matter what. I sit there for moments, tears slowly coming to me. Then someone approaches the window. Shauna. I use my feet to scoot across the floor and I bang my foot into the glass as hard as I can. Her head whips around. She heard it. I scream at the top of my lungs - "Shauna, Shauna, Shauna! It's Tris, please help!" and I bang my heel into the glass over and over again. My heel aches. She stares, obviously confused. I bang my heel harder. "Please!" I cry. Her head turns in the other direction for a moment and she is speaking to someone indistinctly. Tobias runs over and presses his hands to the window. I bang my heel and scream repeatedly, "Tobias, Tobias!" I am crying because they don't understand, they can't. Tobias walks away and I am sobbing, the broken wood of the chair digging into my spine. I fight against the ropes and sob. The door opens.