Chapter 3

——Sam

"You're tutoring Aaron Lanter?!" Chloe shrieked. She checked and read the blue slip with Aaron's details written on it for the fourth time. "And the plot thickens."

"Calm down." I snatched the crumpled paper from her. "It's bound to be a major disaster. This is a mistake." I tossed myself on my bed with the blue paper in my hand and stared at it. Aaron James Lanter.

I felt like my world shrunk, and everyone had conspired against me when I read Aaron's name, written legibly on the blue slip earlier that day. Just when I got a B- for Gym class, I was assigned to tutor the school's most despicable, breathing creature. It rained, and it poured—hard.

I couldn't wipe the annoying grin on Chloe's NYX Cosmetics infested face. "What did Bruce think about it?"

"Nothing much. All he said was, and I quote, 'this is nothing personal, Sam.'" But, I know he was all behind it. And I am right most of the time. Bruce has been going on and on about this "opposites attract" mumbo jumbo. He believed that the universe is trying to get Aaron and me together.

Chloe wrinkled her nose in thought. "What subject does he need help with? Advanced Chem?"

I laughed. I had to. Her guess was funny to me. "No. Think again, Chloe."

"Math?"

I laughed again. "I'll you a give a hint. It's your favorite subject."

"Recess?" She laughed this time.

I rolled my eyes. "Come on."

"Oh, wait." Her eyes widened. "Oh, no. Literature?"

I nodded. "AP Lit."

She burst out laughing. It was true though. It was Chloe's favorite, and she had been acing it since the start of the school year.

"Wow. He must be going through some tough times to flunk literature," she said in between giggles. "No wonder he looked a bit disoriented at lunch today." She joined me on my bed and took the blue paper and stared at Aaron's name. "Aaron James Lanter. He's still very cute today. Disoriented or not."

I got up and threw her a disgusted look, which she ignored by smiling at Aaron's name. "And I still can't believe you let him cut in line like that. That was so rude."

"He looked so hungry. I had to help him."

"Chloe, we were all hungry. We, including those other students, were hungry."

She looked at me; her eyes twinkled in excitement. "And he looked at me. He saw me and even talked to me."

"Yeah, and he also called you Powerpuff Girl. Congratulations. What a dream come true for you." My sarcasm didn't seem to make any difference as she continued to smile and moon over our short encounter with the idiot.

"He's got to have the most captivating blue eyes ever."

"If you're so in love with him, why don't you break up with your useless boyfriend?" I pointed out to her. Aside from Gym class, nothing could be more dreadful than Chloe's college drop-out boyfriend, Vander Nash. He was the most indolent, audacious lecher I ever laid my eyes on. He had dated two other girls while he was seeing Chloe. The worst part was he had somehow managed to turn the tables and made it look like it was my best friend's fault.

"I can't do that," Chloe answered, looking at me a bit serious.

"Why not?" I gave her an even more serious look.