Acting Like Kids

Chapter 3.

Acting Like Kids

As we rode into town, my mind was wandering everywhere. I was wondering where we were going, if I was going to get in trouble when I got home- considering I just left Mama and Papa to do my work- and what Jason thought of me after I made that joke earlier. How stupid was that? I made a face. 'I need some new jeans' I mocked myself inside my head. Well Sophia, just forget about it. Jason knows it was a joke. I hope.

"So how often are you working down at Eddy's?" I asked.                                             

 "Oh, three or four times a week, sometimes more. Whenever they need me, really."

"Sounds good. You making a lot of money? Saving up for something special?" I asked, hoping to get ideas for future birthday gifts.

 “Actually, no. No to both of those questions. Five or six dollars a day is about it. And there ain't much I want. Maybe I'll lend a hand and pitch in to help pay for the horse feed or something." Jason replied. He seemed upset.

 "Oh.” Was all I could say. “Hey what do you want for your birthday mister? It's in..." I started counting days in my head. Wait. Were there 31 days in May?

"My birthday is June 15th." he said with a chuckle.

"No! I knew that! I was trying to count the days! You messed me up!" I yelled.

 "Oh. See I thought you forgot my birthday!" he joked

"Ha. You're a funny kid. “ I shook my head. Now I’d have to start all over.

 "Kid? Wait let's get this straight, I'm turning 17 in less than a month, you're turning 17 in like 5 months, and I'm the kid?" He asked, amused.

"I-" Great. He got me there. I hate it when he does that "Yeah. You're the kid." I said, oh crap. I sensed a play fight coming.

 "Soph..." he said warningly

"Jason" I said back in the same tone. Two can play at this game.

"Soph." he said again, sharper this time. How long will this go on?

"What?" I finally said.

 “I love you" Jason said with a cute smile and a wink.

"Love you too Jason. You're such a cute little kid." I think I just won.

 "You asked for it!" he yelled. Oh crap. He's probably gonna start saying- my thoughts were cut off as suddenly he was pulling me off my horse. How'd he get over here so fast? He grabbed my waist and I took my feet out of Gracie’s stirrups so I didn’t get caught in them. He is really strong.

Then he started spinning me around not letting my feet touch the ground. I wrapped my legs around his waist so I wouldn’t fall. Not that he would let me fall anyway. He flung me over his shoulder and I pounded on his back with my fists. “Put me down!” I screamed over and over, but it wasn’t helping, he was getting enjoyment out of this!

As usual, he overpowered me and pinned me to the ground.

He hovered over me breathing heavily and smiling wildly. Then he started laughing hysterically. "Um, Jason this kind of hurts. You do realize I'm pinned down on dead cornstalks."

"Deal with it, kid!"

"Get off of me!" I protested. He was straddling me with one hand on either side of my head.

"How do you like that? I'm not a kid anymore am I?" he bragged. “I pinned you down, and I win at just about everything, huh Soph?”

“Whatever Jason.” I said grumpily, letting him win the argument. He got off of me. I could make a run for it, but Jason smiled sweetly down at me and held out a hand to help me up.