Freaks Under Fire (Excerpt Only) - Chapter One

FREAKS UNDER FIRE (Book Three of the FREAKS series)

By Maree Anderson

For a cyborg like Jay, life was never going to be simple.

Jay's still reeling fromher encounter with a rogue cyborg assassin when she discovers she has a twin—aseverely damaged Beta unit. Jay is determined to find the Beta, and help her ifshe can. Now all she needs to do is convince her boyfriend Tyler that it's bestfor him to stay behind. But Jay's not the only one searching for her twin. Withenemies who'll stop at nothing, and Tyler and his family caught in thecrossfire, Jay's life is about to get a whole lot more complicated... and a wholelot more dangerous.   

***

FREAKS UNDER FIRE

ISBN: 978-0-9941160-0-0

Copyright 2015 by Maree Anderson

License Notes

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. If you are reading this book and did not purchase it, or it was not purchased for your use only, then please purchase your own copy.

Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

***

Freaks Under Fire

Book 3 of the Freaks series

By Maree Anderson

Prologue

The guard at the gate flashed a cursory glance at her ID badge before waving her through. She kept her expression pleasantly neutral, while inwardly sneering at his incompetence. At the very least he should have phoned through to Reception to verify that she was expected. The "hiding in plain sight" tactic meant there were a number of storage units available to carefully vetted members of the public, and if one of those carefully vetted people discovered what was in Unit Twenty-Six there'd be hell and all its minions to pay.

Before she'd even released the handbrake, the guard had resumed The Position—planting his substantial ass back in his chair and propping his boots on the desk, exactly as he'd been lounging when she approached the facility. Considering she'd had to blast the horn twice to get his attention, she suspected he'd been napping as well as lounging.

She drove off at a crawl, keeping her speed to a minimum until a glance in the rearview mirror confirmed the guard had remembered to lower the barrier arm. Hah. If Average-height Balding 'n Forgettable back there was an indicator of the caliber of the rest of the staff, just as well she'd been dispatched sooner rather than later. The whole place was a security leak waiting to happen.

Her stomach performed a lazy roll, acknowledging the true nature of the task she'd been dispatched to complete... and the toll it would take on what remained of her principles. She'd been required to do some distasteful things for Evan Caine—highly illegal things that would get her locked up for the term of her natural life if she were caught doing them. Some of those things bothered her in the dead of night when she drifted on the edge of sleep, but in the bright, uncompromising light of day, she found she could live with them. She could get out of bed each morning and stare unflinching at her reflection in the bathroom mirror, because she'd not crossed a personal line drawn in the metaphorical sand. The line that involved harming kids.