Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Is this really necessary?"

I winced as Kirsten pressed another pin painfully into my hair. My head felt so tight that I could feel a tension headache forming. In addition to that, my nerves were pulled so taut that I was already a flight risk. The urge was there within me to say 'screw it' and climb back into bed but I had given my word and that was not something I took lightly.

"Yes, it's necessary." The woman replied, her hands fiddling with my dark tresses to try and form some semblance of control. "I may not be one of you, but I know that you're the good guys. The world needs to know it before things become ugly."

I lifted my head and met her gaze in the mirror. She offered me a small smile.

"I may not be the brightest bulb out there but I'm not stupid. This registration bill is the beginning of bad things. If it gets passed we could be looking at another Nazi Germany situation."

It felt strange to see the woman looking so grave.

When I had met her, Kirsten had been a bottle blonde, uppity bitch. There was no way to sugar coat that fact. She was aware of it and made no apologies for her past. Now her hair had been cut short into a pixie style and had returned to her natural dirty blonde. Her make-up was understated while she was dressed in a beautiful navy blue jumper dress and black stiletto heeled ankle boots. She looked beautiful and it was so effortless.

"We like to think that we are better, that we are above persecuting others. But the truth is that we are all scared." She continued as her fingers pushed in another hair pin. I winced but my eyes never left her reflection. As if feeling my stare, her gaze lifted to meet mine in the mirror. "Scared people do stupid things."

My stomach churned uncomfortably but I managed to nod my head.

"You're good at this you know." I offered softly, watching her deftly pin the last few stray hairs in place.

"Doing hair? I know. I did three years of hair and beauty training."

I shook my head as she backed away from me, her eyes boring critically at the back of my head.

"No, giving me pep talks. I think I need the hard facts. Knowing the realities of this situation we're all in is the only thing that is going to bring me to where I need to be." My voice was soft so I cleared my throat and tried to find my strength. "I have so many people counting on me to be this figurehead and to show the world who we are. I need to be strong."

Kirsten wrapped her warm fingers around my own icy hands and gave them a squeeze.

"I have faith in you." Her eyes lost focus for a moment before she offered me a smile. "Do you remember the day we first met?"

I nodded my head and met her gaze in the mirror.

"You didn't put up with any of my crap or any of Lucius'either. You also faced down with insane nut jobs with crossbows and holy water and you still came out on top. You've been through more than most people have and probably ever will. I have faith that you can do this. You don't need to find or fake the strength to be the figurehead. You already have it within you. You just have to unleash it."

My eyes grew misty but I quickly blinked back the tears.

"See what I mean? You're really good at the pep talks."

A hard rap sounded on the door just a second before it was pushed open. I glanced up as a young man appeared in the doorway. His hand was covering the microphone on his headset as he surveyed the room before coming to land on the pair of us.