THREE

Once Aya returned to her room, I moved from my bed. Going down the hall towards Shu's room. I needed to talk to him. We needed to move on from the Blood Demon. Even Shu had to realize that by now. His grandfather never put off paying work this long. It was time for Shu to wake up from his dream and get back to the real world.

Today seemed to go on forever. First finding the Blood Demon latest work this morning. Then we had to make the drive back to the city. It was around two when I got back in the house and yet there was still no rest for the wicked.

Standing outside of his door my hand rose to knock but I paused. I could hear voices from within. One of the voices were Shu, the other was his wife, Amy. Shu and Amy had been together since they were teenagers. I never saw love as strong as the one they had for each other. They were nothing like the fighting parents I remember.

"Why wasn't Zero with you?" Amy's voice was the one that I heard. Amy was like a mother to me. It was weird since I watched her grow as well. We had all been teenagers together. Now these two acted as if they were my parents. Maybe they forgot that I was the same boy who was there with them.

"I sent him to eat," Shu's voice replied to her. He had demanded that I went to eat. He was always like that even when he was a child. Orders and demands. Shu just had that kind of personality. It was one of the reasons that I liked Shu. He was a take-charge kind of man. He was a leader, just like his grandfather.

"What about the Blood Demon?" I licked my lips. My mind casting back to this morning. We were late again. I wasn't so sure that it was a bad thing. The Blood Demon was one of the most powerful demons walking the earth. I didn't know how well equipped we were in dealing with him.

"We were too late." Always too late, always a step behind. Always, always, always. I knew it annoyed Shu. I knew talking about it annoyed him more. Shu didn't like to fail. Being late meant he was failing.

"How is Zero?" Why was she always asking about me? Amy was a good woman. She was the kind of person who worried about people. Amy was bright, sweet, and always smiling. She had a way of making you smile. She was also a great mother to her daughter. She was a great mother to everyone on the team.

"Zero's strong; he has to be," Shu answered. I frowned at his words. He was right though. Shaking my head, I raised my hand again. This time knocking on the door. "Enter," Shu called and I turned the knob opening the door.

"You made it home." Amy gave me that famous smile of her. She was always a very pretty person. Her brown hair, her gray eyes, her tanned skin. She didn't seem to fit in this world. She stood out against the dull backdrop of this city.

We met Amy on the road when Shu and Amy were teenagers. She once was a Demon Hunter, as well. It wasn't until they had their daughter that Amy settled into the life of a stay at home mom. We got this house. We brought in the team to live here with us. We were all family.

"You've eaten?" Shu asked me and I nodded my head. Why would I come back if I hadn't already? Even if Shu was annoying with his worrying, I always ate when he told me to. Most times I did it before he told me to. We were just . . . busy looking for the Blood Demon these last three months.

"I collected on a bounty." I waved my card at him a bit teasingly. Shu rolled his eyes. Even if he was older now, even if he pretended to be my father at times. In the end, Shu was my best friend. Nothing could change that. I teased him and he teased me.

"What do you want?" he asked when he reached for the card a few times, but I yanked it back before he could grab it from me. Shu knew that any credits I earned was for both of us. Not just the two of us but the whole team.