Chapter 7: Baby, I'm so sorry.

▫Payton▫

When I got back to the hotel suite later that night, I couldn't help but feel sad. Something was up with Justin, and he wouldn't tell me what. Was it something to do with me? Did I do something wrong? We haven't been dating for that long ... how could I have messed it up already? "Taylor?!" I call out and I hear a noise in the living room area of the suite.

"I'm over here!" she calls back and I quickly take off my shoes and head over to where she is. When I get in the room, I flop down on the couch next to her, sighing. "What's up, Swizzler?" asks a concerned Taylor and I look up at her.

"How did you know that something's up?" I ask and Taylor shrugs.

"I've known you your whole life, Payton," Taylor says and turns off the TV, before turning to face me. "Tell me what's going on." I sigh and rest my head back on the couch, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. "Swizzler," says Taylor, as she gives me a huge hug.

"It's about Justin."

"What's wrong with you and Justin?"

My eyes tear up and my hands shake as I talk. "I'm afraid that he's bored of me already, Tay. Every time I try to hold his hand, hug him or kiss him, he pulls back. Justin's been so distant ... do you think he's seeing Selena again?" I ask and then start to cry, thinking over what I'd do if Justin went back to Selena. Your best bet is that I'd probably die ... I've had this huge crush on Justin forever. I've finally got him where I want him, I can't let him slip through my fingers. Taylor, being the amazing sister she is, pulls me into a hug. She rubs my back in an effort to calm me down, and it calms me a little ... but not by much.

"Payton, I would know if he went back to Selena. Selena would've called me the moment after they got back together."

I sigh and wipe away my tears, trying to form a sentence in my head. "I have a question..."

Taylor looks down at me, confused, but motions for me to ask her the question.

"What does it mean when a guy only kisses you or is romantic when there's paparazzi around?" I ask and Taylor's face falls ... sadness as she obviously knows what it means, but won't tell me. "Taylor," I say and she just shakes her head. "Taylor, tell me what I means!" I burst out and she continues to shake her head. "Why won't you tell me?"

"Because," Taylor starts, taking in a deep breath before continuing. "Because it's not a good thing," she states and I start crying again, collapsed on the floor as we hear a knock on the door. Taylor quietly walks to the door and starts talking to whoever's there, but I'm crying too much to pay attention.

"I'm guessing she found out ..." the person says and I look up. Through my tears, I recognize the person as Ryan Good. He sits down on the floor next to me, his arms open wide. I hug him and Ryan just holds me there, letting me cry into his shoulder. I hear Taylor leave the room and leave to God knows where ... so I just sit there, in Ryan Good's arms, crying my eyes out. "Shh, Payton. It's gonna be okay," he says and I shake my head.

"It's not gonna be okay!" I yell and Ryan hugs me again. Ryan and I have been really close friends ever since Justin introduced us about two years ago. He's like my second older brother, as I have Austin as my actual older brother. "I just can't believe he would go through with it."

"Trust me little one," Ryan says, wiping the tears from my eyes, "He didn't want to go through with it. He didn't want to date you for these reasons. Justin was forced to."

"Who set it up?" I asked, resting my head on Ryan's shoulder.

"Scooter," whispers Ryan, and tears form in my eyes, but I take a deep breath and the tears go away. "Scooter thought it would be good for the two of you. You'd get the attention that you need, Justin would get the attention he needs. Then, you two would break up and it would be ok. Justin would go back to Selena and you would find someone else ... but Scooter didn't know how you feel about Justin."