Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-six

          “Gill?”

          Gill closed his eyes and swallowed hard at the sound of his best friend’s voice coming from behind him. He’d been putting off and avoiding this talk for two days since Jeb had announced to everyone that the Crane Gang’s days were over.

          Gill was nowhere near ready to have this conversation. Hell, he didn’t know what he’d do without his annoying best friend.

          “Yeah?”

          Pete came to stand beside him and Gill saw the man rub at his neck and shift his feet. Not a single wisecrack left his lips as he stood there appearing as sad as if someone had just walked onto his porch and kicked his puppy. “Jane and I are leaving in the morning.”

          Gill chewed at the inside of his cheek. “So are Jeb and I.”

          “Jane wants to go back to Billy’s place and settle down.”

          Gill nodded. “That’ll be good for the two of you,” he admitted. “A new married couple needs privacy and y’all ain’t had much of that.”

          “And you and Jeb’ll be happy over in New Mexico,” Pete added.

          “Yeah.” Gill glanced over at Pete and swallowed hard. “I uh… I’ll be glad to have some peace from your annoying ass.”

          Pete’s reddened eyes slicked with wetness as he draped his arm over Gill’s shoulders. “I’ll miss you too, Gill.”

          “That’s enough of that damn tearful nonsense!” Willie exclaimed as he suddenly appeared, shoving himself between the two friends. “Don’t worry about your friend here, Gill. I’ll take good care of him.”

          Gill stared at the man, certain he’d lost his mind. “You don’t plan on killing him do you?”

          Willie shook his head and brushed at the tassels on his goucho pants. “No, I won’t kill him. I’m gonna be staying down at Billy’s place with him and Jane.”

          Gill hadn’t heard anything more ridiculous than that in his entire life. “You are?” He frowned as he glanced at Pete but the man just grinned.

          Willie nodded. “I was foolish before. Jane is like a sister to me and Billy was the closest thing to a pa I had. I’m gonna help Jane and Pete get a ranch started up.”

          “Well…” Gill scratched his cheek. “That’s..uh.. nice,” he finally blurted out.

          “Since this is our last night all together, why don’t we head to town and see it out in style?” Willie suggested.