Couples Only

Annabeth POV

“I’ll be cheering for you guys,” I said with a kiss on Percy’s nose. Today was the day of Goode High’s meet against their biggest rival school. Currently, I was standing in the hall outside the boys locker room with my boyfriend, wishing him and the team the best (but of course Percy would help their winning cause, the cheater).

“And by you guys, you mean mainly me, right?” Percy asked with that teasing glint in his eyes. In response, I simply kissed him.

“Good luck out there, you guys.” I accentuated the two words, making Percy stick his tongue out at me as I walked down the hall, to the pool where the stands were already filling with fans, even though the meet didn’t start for another half hour. Thalia had saved me a seat up at the top of the rows where we had a perfect view of the pool and all participants. Trinity sat beside her, her cheeks flushed with excitement.

“So, remind me again why only me, Rachel, Nico, and Connor are not allowed to come with tonight?” Thalia asked, half bitter and half amused.

“It’s a group date. We can’t have single people hanging around with us, now can we Trinity?” She giggled.

“That’s right, couples only.” You could feel her happiness in being able to say the word couples and being including herself in that.

“I’m really happy for you and Hayden, really, but honestly! Is it really hard to have an extra three people? We’re going to be stuck all night with Nico and Connor!” She pouted.

“We’re going to be doing all sorts of couple-y things like staring into each other’s eyes over pizza, sharing milkshakes with two straws, footise under the table, kissing when we think nobody’s looking…” I teased. Thalia winced, and faked gagging.

“Message received. Single people stay out.” I hugged her shoulders.

“You knew we love you guys, but it’s Trinity and Hayden’s first date.” I lowered my voice so that Trinity wouldn’t hear, even though her attention had already been diverted to Silena, “Besides, Percy told me that he’s going to be Hayden’s boyfriend example for the night, so that things go smoothly with Trin, you know?” She nodded.

“Ok, ok, I get it. We’ll just stay home and play checkers or something.” She muttered.

“If it makes it better, Clarisse is being forced into going, and her night will probably be as miserable as yours.” She brightened just a bit.

“Yeah, that helps a little.” I shook her shoulder affectionately and turned my attention back to the pool. The other team had entered and begun practicing.

“They’re pretty good,” Grover said, earning a disapproving look from his girlfriend, “What? I’m just stating the obvious over here!” Oh Grover…

“Percy will beat all of them, I’m sure.” I stated proudly.

“Well duh, he’ll probably cheat that sneaky little…” Clarisse started mumbling. I nearly kicked her shoulder, but before I could (and that probably saved me from some brutal punches) the announcer came on.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Goode High!” Cheering, and more cheering, and more cheering. There were a lot of people in here. Most were from Goode, but a few came to support the opposing team, “And now I’m proud to introduce… the Goode High Swim Team!” The screams were almost ear-splittingly painful as the guys jogged out from the hallway in their warm-up suits. Percy and Hayden came out last, side by side.

“WHOO! HAYDEN!” Trinity yelled. Hayden looked up, blushed and waved to her with a happy, in love expression that was all too familiar. Percy had it too, every time he looked at me.