Chapter Eighteen: "You're Not Sexting Stone Are You?"

Start from the beginning

"Do you want something to eat? I could make you coffee and I'm pretty sure we have some leftover lasagna in the fridge."

She smirks and suddenly all's right in the world. I don't like seeing her like this, so defeated and just...broken. It took a long time for Megan and me to break through her nearly impenetrable walls but after lots and lots of trying she finally opened up. Even though she always hesitates about talking to us about her home life, we more or less force it out of her. This would have to be one of those cases.

"You're offering me lasagna at seven in the morning?"

"Its food, you're hungry. I don't get why we as a society need to label foods according to what time it is. If you want to eat lasagna, you should eat lasagna and not care about the dang clock." I finish passionately and she smiles, shaking her head.

"You really shouldn't be up right now, its messing with your head. Did I wake you?"

"No, I was already up. I was supposed to meet..." I leave the sentence hanging, not sure how to say it. If I said his name, Beth would ask questions. She'd most probably deflect all the attention onto me just because she wouldn't want to talk about what happened at home.

"...My partner for the history project but we can always reschedule." I hope I sound convincing.

"No, its okay, go. I just need to catch up on some sleep and I'll be out of here." She yawns in the middle of the sentence and once again I have this overwhelming urge to hit Marie.

"I'll stay here. My parents left us a bunch of chores to do and I bet Travis hasn't done any of his so I should get started on those."

Wow, I'm starting to do really well with the lying. This has got to be my delinquent crush's fault.

"Chores? Since when do you have chores? Don't you have a cleaning lady?"

Right.

"Her sister died, poor thing's taken the week off." I say sorrowfully not even knowing if Glenda actually has a sister.

"Well, that sucks."

Once she believes every lie I've fed her, I take her up to the guestroom. Giving her one of Travis's t-shirts and shorts, I decide to give her some alone time to get some sleep. I'll hound her with my questions later when she doesn't look like she'll pass out any second. Changing out of my pajamas into a striped black and white tank and jeans, I decide to try my hand at cooking. Yes, it's true I almost burned down my kitchen but there were a few dishes I could manage. Beth would need a home cooked meal when she got up; I think she's had her share of pizza nights for a lifetime.

Though there's something else that needs to be done before I decide to play Betty Crocker. Fishing out my cell from beneath a mountain of clothes, I prepare myself for what's to come. What sort of a potential love interest am I? We haven't even gone on an official first date and I'm already bailing on him. The thought of hurting Cole makes my heart sink. I know he's looking forward to this, I know I am more than looking forward to this but I can't bail on my best friend. She's someone who has been there for me, more times than I could remember. I am one of the biggest reasons why she's been dubbed a social pariah and the least I could do for her is be there when she needs me.

Me: Hey, I'm sorry but something's come up. I can't go with you today.

I press send and place the phone on the kitchen counter, standing as far away from it as possible. I mean I know it's not like Cole's going to jump right out of it and break my heart but right now, I'm nearing a full blown panic attack and that rectangular piece of technological terror is the sole reason.