Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Xavier's P.O.V

"Son you need to remember not to turn away from your opponent during a fight. We have practiced this many times before," my father said to me through mind link as he removed himself from on top of me, and proceeding to shake of his fur, which had gotten muddy during our training.

"I know, no turning my attention away when I'm fighting, sorry. I was just a little distracted" I responded. If my dad is going to hand me the alpha position in two years when I turn eighteen; I want him to feel secure that he has left the pack in good hands.

"Alright just stay focused, now lets see if you can manage to take me down," my dad says to me before he launches himself directly at me baring his teeth.

"Bring it, but if I manage to take you down I think I should get something in return," I say quickly leaping to the right to avoid his attack.

"We'll talk about what you will receive; when, and if you manage to defeat me," he says as he continues to come after me.

Finally after about four failed attacks directed toward me, my dad manages to land on me.

He bites me around my chest area, but not as hard as if we were really attacking each other.

"Son, if you want whatever it is that you are asking for then you should at least try to put in some effort. If it weren't for you thrashing under me I would assume that you were just avoiding me altogether," my dad spoke as he got up from on top of me.

"Alright then old man if it's a fight you want, it's a fight you'll get." I spoke

I shook off my fur before I threw myself landing directly on top of him.

"How was that, good enough" I asked as I kept him trapped under me.

"Good just make sure that when you actually launch yourself at someone during a fight not to stop and think, but to go with your animal instinct. Don't doubt for even a second that they will use that second that you stop to attack you." he spoke as he threw me off of him easily like if I weighed nothing.

"Animal instinct; alright."

"I think you have had enough fighting for now. Why don't we go for a run; your mom should have dinner ready in an hour or so," he said waiting for me to follow him into the thick woods.

"Let's go then I'm starving, just because we're training doesn't mean I should be deprived of food."

"I think you fight better on an empty stomach don't you."

"No."

After we had been running for a few minutes my dad decided to come to a stop, turning around to face me.

"Why don't we test how much you've been studying those pack books I gave you," he announced unexpectedly as he sat himself on the ground.

I followed suit, and sat myself in front of him still in my wolf form.

"What is the pack formation?" he asked.

"Alpha in the front beta on his right third in command on his left; everyone else behind them," I answered automatically.

"How long has it been since our last war?"

"Twenty years and counting."

"How many packs are in the United States?"

"Twelve as of right now,"

"Who founded the pack?"

"My great great great great great grandfather."