Chapter [1]

Because this book is now published, content stops after chapter twenty. Please proceed with this information in mind.

O n e

            "Would you rate his butt a seven or an eight?" Mel whispered.

            Our school had been having a huge careers exposition for all graduating students, just to give us an idea of what our future possibilities are. University professors and highly trained experts from all areas of profession presented us with basic information on different courses. Wednesday's lecture was from the local police department. And although the two guys doing most of the talking looked like walking donuts, they had brought along a smoking looking rookie.

            "I don't know," I said as I squinted and leaned forward to get a clearer view. "His left butt cheek looks bigger than the right one."

            Mel's jade green eyes widened as she leaned forward. "Hey, you're right."

            Continuing our brilliant discovery of uneven butt cheeks, we compared it with boobs. And before we knew it, the boring speech about law breaking and Australian legislation seemed distant as we got lost in our own giggles.

            "Officer Brandy, I think Miss Montgomery just offered for the demonstration."

            Realising I had sunk half way down to the floor in my own laughter, I straightened in my seat, eyes wide. "What?"

            Mrs. Hanson was this cranky, old woman, who allegedly had voodoo dolls stuffed in her teacher's pigeon hole. Her dull grey eyes seemed to taunt me with mocking satisfaction as she nodded towards the stage. Thin ruby lips curled into a wicked grin as I grumbled something in gibberish and trudged onto the stage.

            I stood between the officers and waited for further instructions. They both smelt like strong coffee and being so close up, I could see rainbow sprinkles on one of the policeman's moustaches. My eyes fell down to his chest and caught sight of his golden name tag. He was Officer Brandy.

            "And we need one more volunteer." His deep, booming voice echoed through the large space of the auditorium. Instantly, everyone tried not to make eye contact with the adults.

            "I think Ryder Collins is interested." The icy tone of Mrs. Hanson sliced through the tension.

            At the start of high school, Ryder Collins' popularity came with his varsity jacket, the same way girls got their popularity from their bras. At first, I didn't think it would affect our friendship. But after three weeks of being on the footy team, he dumped me for popularity. Tossing a filthy look of disgust to his friends, he got up and walked up to the stage.

            "Great," Officer Brandy announced, clapping his meaty paws. "Now, as I was saying, the local police department have designed a new pair of handcuffs. They're made out of metal that is up to three times stronger than the original material and, as you can see, has thicker links."

            I watched as he held up the handcuffs and the group of students eyed it in wonder. He had managed to capture the attention of the class as the jaws of the open cuffs dangled from his fingertips. Thinking it was stupid, being so mesmerised by a pair of handcuffs, I snorted. Ryder must have had the same thoughts because he made an unattractive sound of dissatisfaction too.

            "This particular pair of handcuffs was designed for our plus sized criminals, so it has more links," he continued, sliding his sausage fingers down the long chain. "The great thing about these new and improved cuffs is that they're just like houses. Only one key fits per pair."

            A few excited mumbles came from a few members of the audience. Even Mel looked mildly interested. But then I realised she was only excited because Officer Brandy was now circling the stage. Before I could figure out what he was doing, he grabbed hold of my wrist and snapped on a handcuff. The metal was warm from his hold as it clicked into place.

            "Dude, what are you doing?" I asked, wide eyed.

            Mrs. Hanson instantly scolded me for addressing a policeman as, 'dude.' But I could hardly concentrate on what she was saying, because Officer Brandy had secured the other handcuff around Ryder's wrist. Panic washed over me, drowning me in complete terror. I looked down at the piece of silver that connected us together and reverted my gaze to meet his faded blue eyes. He looked just about as freaked out as I did. 

            "Garret, can you please grab the hammer?" Officer Brandy asked as he gently steered us towards a table. "Kids, place your hands on the table."

            "Oh, Jesus," I whispered, all sorts of terrible thoughts running through my mind. My stomach tightened to a squeeze and a bitter taste formed in my mouth.

            When the hammer was in his hands, the audience held their breath as he lifted the tool into the air and slammed down on the woodwork table with force. The loud, sharp bang of impact echoed through the room like a gunshot and it scared me so much, I nearly let out a fright fart. Like a total psycho, he started beating the crap out of the metal links that joined Ryder and I together.

            After another ten seconds of deafening hits, he placed the hammer down with a clatter and held up the undamaged chain. Impressed claps and a couple of cheers erupted from the students.

            The bell couldn't have rung at a more perfect time. The long, sweet chime of freedom sang into my ears like a choir of angels.  As the teachers stood to keep the students tame and explain further instructions, Officer Brandy gave us a grin.

            "Thanks for helping out with the demonstration, kids," he said, grabbing his foam cup of coffee and taking a swig.

            Ryder, obviously getting impatient, held up his wrist, causing my hand to yank up with him. "Can we please go now?"

            Officer Brandy lowered the cup from his lips and made a sound of agreement. He placed the cup back onto the table and fumbled around in his pockets. All his pockets. His bushy brows knitted together as he patted himself down.

            "Garret, do you have the key?" he called.

            Garret, who had been talking with a few eager students, turned. Shaking his head, he answered, "You had them with you."

            Officer Brandy nodded in agreement. "That's what I thought. Hey, Drew, have you seen the key?"

            The rookie policeman shook his head as he strode towards us, hands digging into his pockets. "No, Sir."

            When Brandy turned to us, he gave us a tight smile. I think it was meant to be reassuring but the way his lips curled, said otherwise. I suddenly felt light headed, my knees about to give way. His face said it all. Officer Brandy had lost the key.