Chapter 18

Slade turned on his back and let out a yawn. His arms stretched to the side of the bed to wrap around his sleeping beauty but when his fingers didn’t feel her soft skin, his eyes snapped open in panic only for them to widen in surprise as his bright green eyes clashed with large, black pupils.

Nine was sitting next to him on her knees while her upper body was leaning over until her face was inches from his. Her head was slightly tilted to the side, eyes blinking cutely at him and her warm breath coming from her parted lips were enticing him to kiss her.

“What are you doing?” Slade murmured, his voice dripping with that morning, husky voice.

Nine’s ears twitched at the sudden sound. It intrigued her that he could affect her so much. She found it hard to believe that there was a person who was meant for her.

“I’m trying to figure out why you smell so different.” Nine replied and moved her hands to place them on either side of his head and leaned even closer until their noses were touching.

Slade gulped, his hands circled around her waist without permission.

Goddess, his mate was so tempting.

Nine closed her eyes and followed her nose as she trailed down his cheek towards his neck. Her lips brushed against his skin making him shiver. She stopped just in the crook of his neck and buried her nose there and deeply breathed in.

“Especially here...” She whispered, purring out the words. Nine nipped the area making Slade growl lustfully and tighten his hold on her.

Unconsciously Nine’s body knew what to do and already her teeth lengthened, venom ready to mark her mate.

But it was Nine’s ignorant mind that inevitably stopped the intimate action.

Opening her eyes, she pulled back and gazed at Slade who was heavily breathing with his eyes closed tightly.

“Slade?” She questioned and reached out to lightly touch his cheek. Within a couple of seconds, Slade was off the bed and a few feet away from Nine.

His bare chest heaving in air deeply, fists clasped tightly to his side and his eyes glowing bright green. Slade was already having a hard time controlling himself but when Nine almost marked him, he was pushed over the edge. A second later and he would have forcefully marked her as his and he knew that would be painful.

It’s been almost two months and he has not marked Nine. That could lead to severe consequences for her and especially him since he was an Alpha. But he had to wait. No matter what, Nine would have a say in wanting to be with him forever or…not.

She had been locked up her whole life, Nine deserved to know what’s out there in the world and not be held down by him since he could not abandon his pack.

Whatever her decision he would respect it. Slade just had to wait until Nine understood about being mates and only then would ask her about the marking.

For now, Slade will endure the torture. No matter how difficult it is to go against his instincts and his wolf.

Finally getting himself under control, Slade rubbed his tired eyes.

“You look sexy.”

And just like that, Slade lost control.

“What did you say?” He growled low, eyes boring into hers.

Nine’s white ones widened innocently. “Tori said to say that to your mate. It’s a compliment!” She grinned, feeling proud for remembering it.