♛ 6

It was just like my mother to come to my apartment unexpected. Unlike my father, she didn't have a job. She was a stay-at-home wife, which left a lot of time on her hands. When she wasn't at church, she was either attempting to do yoga or keeping up with the Kardashians. But every so often on her free time, she would stop by, make tea and make me tell her everything that was going on in my life. Most of the stuff, I told her was lies. How was I going to tell my mom that all I do is go to and from work, f-ck a guy or a chick every other night, smoke dope, and hang out with my somewhat accomplished friends? I didn’t even have a job anymore, so now I knew everything that came out of my mouth would be utter bullsh-t. She’d probably ask me how my weekend went so far, and I’d tell her a lie about how I’m thinking about taking online courses. “Haven’t you heard? It’s backwards day,” I told my mother when she asked me why my shirt was backwards.

Instead of questioning what I said, she pulled me into a tight hug. I could smell the cheap Target perfume that I had gave her last Mother’s Day. I’m surprised she actually liked it. Mother always acted a bit like a snob. She thought she was a real housewife or something. My mother acted as if her sh-t didn’t stink and walked as if she was a sight for everyone to stare at. Even with her slightly narcissistic ways, she still remained to not be too judgmental on other people. Sure, she hated Republicans with a passion, but other than she was pretty kind. Mother pulled me out of a hug and strutted into my apartment. I closed my door and mumbled a few curse words under my breath. Great. Maxim was going to meet my mother. “Well, I’ve seen you humping Maxim Nightingale on the news but I didn’t think it was really you,” Mother said as soon as she laid eyes on Maxim.

Maxim was standing right in the center of the room with her hands tucked in her pockets. She gave my mother a smug smile as she tried her best not to laugh. “I wasn’t humping her, Mother,” I said annoyed. Maxim slyly nodded her head to motion me to come and stand beside her while my mother pulled packets of tea from her humongous purse. There’s no telling what she had in that thing. She could be hiding a whole f-cking body in there. Even though I really didn’t want to, my body instantly began moving towards Maxim. When I went to stand beside her, she wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

She leaned over to whisper in my ear, “Introduce me to your mommy, baby.” I gave her a look, and that stupid eyebrow rose. Damn, I guess I had to play along. My mother already saw me dancing with her, so I might as well tell her that we were ‘dating.’ Mother looked from her purse and then up to Maxim and I. A smile spread across her face once she saw Maxim’s arm was draped around my shoulder.

“So, the rumors are true,” she asked as she put her hands on her hips. “You know, I never thought Lavender would settle down. She’s a bit of a loner. All throughout high school she has never brought a girl or guy over. When she was sixteen, she told us she was bisexual, but to be honest, she’s always seemed asexual to me.” My mother laughed to herself, and I blushed with embarrassment. I never brought guys or girls home because I’ve never been in a stable relationship. There was no need for anyone to meet my parents if we weren’t serious and we were just f-cking each other. “Finally, she’s found someone and they’re famous! This is so stunning!” Mother just stood there and smiled at us for a while, “Wow, Maxim Nightingale is dating my daughter. At least I don’t have to worry about anyone hurting her anymore.”

Maxim moved her arm from around me and walked into the kitchen with my mother. “Please, let me make the tea,” she told my mother as she looked through my cabinets. “Where do you keep your pots, honey,” Maxim called out to me. At first I didn’t even answer because I didn’t think she was talking to me. But I knew she surely wasn’t talking to my mother. This terms of endearment thing was going to take a while to get used to.

“Top cabinet on your right, sweetheart,” I told her as I walked over to the couch with my mother.

 She grabbed a pot from the cabinet I instructed her to and turned on the stove. “Why don’t you two lovely ladies, have a seat? It’ll be right up,” she said as both me and mother sat down.