Chapter 27: A Strange Bath

WARNING: This chapter contains scenes that might not be appropriate for readers under 15. Read at your own risks! Unedited.

I stayed there for a while, regaining my strength. The ships were stored for the winter without further setback and the crowd started to disperse.

There was a chill in the air. The sun had vanished behind menacing dark clouds and as I rose to head back, the heavens opened. Those who were still around took refuge indoors but I chose not to. I didn't want to risk facing the child's parents again. I kept on my way.

Despite the short distance I was drenched to the bones when I arrived at Lord Einarr's home. I stepped around dripping servants to reach my bench and grabbed dry clothing inside. The top escaped my wet fingers and fell in place with a bang, attracting unwanted attention. I shrunk and tiptoed into the main room, where I draw a curtain to change. Most women here didn't bother but I wasn't used to the leering eyes of men. I always had my own room before.

I wrung my hair and began to towel dry it. The racket on the roof had ceased. I grumbled, complaining against my luck. Even the weather hated me.

"Here you are Sunngifu! Einarr Godi sent me to find you."

I looked at Svana in disbelief, struggling to dry my damp curls with a towel. "What does he want? I must return to my work!" Those fleeces weren't going to comb themselves.

She frowned. "He is your master, your duty is whatever he tells you to do. He is going to bath in the pool and you are to assist him."

My eyes widened. "Didn't he get rinsed enough already? It is only noon, this is no time to bathe!"

Svana shrugged. "Einarr Godi bathes when he so wishes. Now get soap and towels and hurry!"

I rolled my eyes and obeyed. Better that than combing.

The sun was back yet my boots were covered in mud by the time I reached the pool. Lord Einarr floated on the water, his head resting on the edge. I couldn't help peeking at his very naked form before he noticed me.

"Sunngifu! Come here." He sat and waived me over.

"My Lord". I approached, hoping he didn't see me gawking at him.

"Wash my hair."

He reclined and I complied, kneeling behind him. I worked the soap into his scalp, massaging it.

"Maybe I should keep you as my personal maid. You excel at this."

I blushed at the unexpected praise and poured water on him. He sank and shook his head when he surfaced, showering me. I shrieked and fell on my bottom.

Laughing he stood, hands on his hips, while I scrambled to my feet. "Your work isn't finished Sunngifu."

I glared at him, my dress ruined. "I did what you asked."

He ruffled through my basket of supplies and handed me a cloth. "Wash me."

Huffing, I took the square of linen and soaped it. I resumed my previous position and reached out to him. "You need to come closer, my arms aren't long enough!"

He shrugged. "Then undress and get in."

I stared at him dumbly and he cocked an eyebrow, his lips twitching up. It made me come to my senses. It was not a question. It was an order.

My hands trembled as I discarded my dress and smock. The cold seized me and I hurried to get into the pool.

He had retreated to the deepest part and was in waist deep. I was smaller and was glad that my breasts were covered. He had seen me before, in a closed room lit by candles, but being naked in front of him out and in plain sight felt different, more sinful.