-61-

Not edited.

The morning passed by like a whirlwind. Tara had a headache by the end of it all. Lucas' brothers were... different.

It was obvious the affection they all had for one another just by the way they behaved. Maggie spent most of the morning giggling at their almost childish banter while she, Keiran and Peter sat back and watched.

Yes she and Keiran acted crazy at times but this was three grown men who reeked of power who in one instance were fighting over Maggie's double choc fudge cake and the next they were demanding that Maggie danced round the kitchen with them.

It was... different... but in a good way. She knew to a certain extent what family was about because of the wonderful people in her life now but these three men had the relaxed demeanor of a family that had grown up together.

She found herself wanting to giggle every time Maxon called Lucas twirp. That would be the last nickname she'd expect him to have but he answered to it without a second thought.

How wonderful would it have been to grow up with a family closeness like theirs... if only she had.

She tried not to think of her father or how much she missed her mother. She tried to remember what it was like when her dad smiled at her... and couldn't. She tried to remember a time when he told her he was proud of her...  and couldn't. She tried to remember the love she felt when her mother was still alive and bit on her tongue to stifle the sob within.

She would be forever grateful to Peter for calling her his daughter and making her feel like she mattered. His standing by her had been a strength she never believed she'd have. In the short time he'd been in her life he'd been more of a father than her biological one had ever been.

It was tragic to think that there were parents out there who didn't appreciate the children they had... and that she was one of them.

"Hey" Lucas spoke quietly beside her as they all had lunch together "everything ok?"

She smiled softly, the smile didn't make it to her eyes and Lucas' heart clenched and he wished he could take away her pain.

"Yep. Just thinking."

"About?" he prompted.

"Just stuff" she shrugged.

He took her hand in his and threaded his fingers through hers.

"Judging by the look on your face it's some pretty serious stuff."

Again she shrugged, trying to be nonchalant about what she was feeling.

"Nothing important."

He looked at her and smiled softly while shaking his head.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course."

"You'll tell me if there's something wrong won't you?"

Trust. He wanted hers more than anything. He needed hers.

"Sure. I just..." she stopped and he waited and watxhed as she shook her head. "It doesn't matter."

"Baby if something's making you sad then it does matter."

"Not.."

"Not?" Again he pushed for an answer.

She stared at the table and fought to find the words he wanted her to say. She blew out a large breath before she started to speak. Her insides shook knowing that any mention of her father may send him over the edge... she couldn't do that again.

"I was just watching you guys"

Lucas inwardly cheered to hear her speaking.

"You get on so well. You know, like a real family."

All who were sitting at the table were in shock at her words. Damon regarded the young woman with an added sense of pride. He knew her history, just as Maxon and Grayson did as well. Each if them were horrified to learn what her father had put her through, the way he abused her and neglected being the father she needed.

They understood only too well the pain that came from a father's betrayal but felt that as a young girl she shouldn't have had to go through so much heartache and suffering.

"You know little sister" Maxon lent back on his chair "family isn't always who you want them to be, it's more of who you need. We have a different Dad to Lucas and if he was alive we wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire."

Damon nodded.

"That's right. Our father was a right príck. It was out mother who taught us not to end up like him. He tried to train us all right from the beginning to be his little minions, his clones so to speak but he didn't succeed."

"He... well lets say little sister that we understand what your Dad put you through from our own first hand experience. We could have let him win but we didn't. We fought through alot of what people would say were our demons to make sure he didn't win."

"Exactly as Maxon just said" Damon jumped in "Be strong when you need to be Taz. Don't let him win. You have family now... you are family... and we take care of our own. Lucas needed us here to be with you and him so we're here for as long as we need to be."

Tears streamed down her face and she was aware of hands that brushed them away with a gentleness she hadn't expected but was grateful for. With a choked up voice she spoke again.

"I've" she inhaled "I've felt more and more like I... like I belong. It was strange at first, apart from Keiran and Jace I had no one close. Now I have Peter and Maggie and Adam and Jones."

"And me" Lucas threw in "you'll always have me."

"You better throw the Price brothers and their families into that mix as well Taz cause we needed a little sister.."

"And we're not letting you get away!" Maxon spoke with a flourish and more than just a touch of dramatics.

"That's right brother" Damon said with cheeky grin "little sisters are awesome to pick on."

Tara's eyes bulged and Lucas laughed as he buried his head into the crook of her neck.

"You have family baby. You belong..." he thought for a moment as to whether he should finish what he wanted to say. He was wary of pushing her too far but wanted to reassure her that she'd never be alone again.

"You belong with me".

*****