Dorm Room 210: Papers and Pillows

Author note: This chapter has been revised and edited. Updated 25th August 2017

This is the song Noah was listening to...

So this chapter has been re-written. Like I said in my previous chapters, everything is different and will continue to be different. In saying that, I hope you enjoy this chapter xx

Chapter 13:

Papers and Pillows

The term of 'Exams' becomes a trigger for the students partaking in the horrific event. Stress prowls like sharp stingers every time a professor mentions the word 'study' or 'prep-exam'. Sleep turns into a privilege concept that many have mistaken for granted and, according to Jesse's dramatic conversations, food serves less as luxury and more as a need to survive.

I use dramatic, though with the way he carries on it'll eventually turn underrated.

It's not to say I don't know what Jesse's on about, as stress and I have been antiquated for years, but I only have one class this semester that I have an exam on, unlike the three Noah has.

In saying that, I stay up all hours of the night studying with Noah, making sure I understand the context and notes.

There's only two days left until Noah and I sit down for the exam. Tonight, Noah plays music in the background, washing over the taps of pens and keyboards that I find soothing and motivating.

I frown at the laptop covered in notes and highlighted sections, trying to rank through my thoughts to continue the sentence before me, but the song latches itself instead, storing away in a box of memories.

No. No. I'm losing my rhythm.

I look up fast from where I sit on my bed to Noah at the desk, drumming his pen along as he scans his notes. My insides boil a little bit.

"Can you wear headphones? I'm trying to study." My tone comes out harsher than meaning to, but at least he's not ignoring me.

"It's upbeat. Supposed to make you happy and not stressed."

I frown. "For you maybe, but I'm losing my train of thought here. You can wear headphones."

Noah shakes his head. "I won't be able to focus properly. I need to have music playing at everything."

"You think I'm focusing properly?" I point at my laptop, agitation building up from the boil. "I'm not getting anything done. Exams are two days away, I only have the one I need to do. After that, you can listen to your music however loud you want."

Noah scoffs. "Yeah, exactly. You have one. I have three I need to worry about, and two of them are on the same day. Just suck it up for a bit more, yeah?"

My mind begins running with comebacks and quick remarks, but nothing understanding comes out. Noah watches the performance as I struggle with putting words together, but eventually I give up. My body leaves a disappointing ache behind as I sigh out the petty words in my head. There's no point arguing at one in the morning.

"Fine," I whisper, saving my documents and closing my laptop.

"What are you doing?" Noah asks, getting up from his chair and walking over to me.

I slide my laptop in the drawer next to me as I say, "I'm going to sleep. It's too late for me to concentrate anymore."

Noah crosses his arms over his chest as he watches me pull the sheets up around me. "I thought we were studying together."

I look up at him, through the orange-yellow light-globe from the ceiling that paints highlights on his face, making him look much too gorgeous for my mind to handle. "We weren't together studying. I'll leave you to it."