Epilogue

Sawyer had written something on Devin's cast that Alexa thought about all the time. It said, “you taught me more about who I am than any book ever has. I want to tell you we'll be friends forever but it will be so much longer than that. I love you with every piece of my messed up heart,” - Sawyer.

As she absentmindedly hung laundry on the clothesline, she thought about him. Sawyer had taught her so much. Summer would be over in a week or so and things would resume to normal. Would it all seem like a dream then? She hoped not.

Rachel's voice pierced through the air. “Earth to Lexi! Hola! Bonjour!”

Her head snapped straight up, still foggy from her daze.

“You checked out for a second,” Rachel said. “Answer your bloody phone.”

Alexa dug her hand into the pocket of her jean shorts, smiling from ear to ear at the recognition of the ringtone reserved for Sawyer. She was most definitely an expert at using the thing now. Sawyer's face popped up on the screen.

“Hey baby,” he said. “Thought you'd never answer.”

“I was hanging laundry,” she said truthfully.

The sun was setting wherever Sawyer was, and although she could hear traffic from outside, she couldn't make out his location. She looked at her watch. Three in the afternoon.

“How are you doing?” he said. “Miss me yet?”

“I missed you ten seconds after you left.”

“Me too.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and sat at the picnic table, swinging her leg dramatically. “Rachel says hi,” Alexa offered. This earned her Rachel flipping her the bird.

“Hi back,” Sawyer said.

“So, uh, where are you?” Alexa asked.

Sawyer's eyes sparkled with excitement. “You're never going to believe it.”

Before he could finish, Lincon, Alexa's father came to the back door. “Alexa sweetheart. Someone just delivered a parcel for you.” He held a small box in his hands.

“Hang on,” she told Sawyer. “Someone-,” she paused. “Omigod. Did you get me a present?”

“Maybe,” he said. His face came closer to the screen. “Open it,” he whispered.

“I have to put the phone down,” she said.

“I can wait. I'm a patient guy.”

She laughed and thanked her dad, taking the package from him. She tore at the package like a kid at Christmas. When she got the small box open, Rachel was hovering over her. “What is it? What did he get you? Diamond earrings? A necklace? A wallet. A hermes scarf?”

“Shut up Rachel,” Alexa's phone said.

“Bite me, West,” Rachel replied.

As she messed with the glue on the envelope she felt nervous and when she saw what was inside, she dropped it, covering her hand to her mouth.

“What is it?” Rachel was practically screaming. She bent over to pick it up as Alexa went for her phone, shaky hands at all.

“You like?” Sawyer said. “Wait'll you see the view.”

He flipped the phone around and revealed Paris' iconic landmark.

"Oh my God!" Rachel's voice chimed in. "Tickets to Paris!"

“I've always wanted to go the the Eiffel tower,” she said

Sawyer turned the phone back on his face and winked. “Yeah,” he said. “I bet you do.”

Authors note/confession (whatever you want to call it). It's done! It's done! It's done! It's done! Er... at least the first draft. I thought it would never end...truly. Phew! Anyway, just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who fanned/commented/voted. You guys give me the mojo that keeps me writing and I'll love you forever for it. Cheers.

L