Chapter 23: The Mother-in-law

Behind every successful man is a proud wife and a surprised mother-in-law.

-Hubert H. Humphrey

Leila Fiorenza's POV

It's been a week since our sudden trip to the Caribbean. One week and three days to be exact. Leandro wants to extend our vacation for a week more but his demanding work needed his immediate attention.

Much to his regret, we flew back to Spain on our eleventh day on the island. Honestly, this might be a great opportunity for me. Because in the days that we spent together I never had the opportunity to bring up again the issue about his mother I knew what he felt about his mother but...

"You seemed to be in a deep thought again, wife." Leandro sounded beside me on the passenger's seat of the car that picked us up at the airport going to his estate. "Is there something wrong? I'm sorry that I need to cut our vacation because of my work. But don't worry. We're going on a holiday again."

I smiled at him charmingly. "I'm fine, Leandro."

"You sure?" He asked, eyeing me closely. He twined my fingers with his. This past week that we've been together made noticed that he likes to play with my finger when we're just talking. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head as I tried to give him a reassuring smile. "Nothing. It must be the weather or jet lag or something."

"When we reach the estate I will call a doctor to check you up," Leandro announced as anxiety crossed his expressive eyes. "It's also high time for you to have your first scan."

Now that he mentioned it. I remember that I never see a doctor again after my first consultation back in Sicily when I learned that I was pregnant with his child. "You are right," I told him, rubbing my belly. "But I'm truly fine. You don't need to call a doctor today. I will arrange for one when you are free to help me for my first scan, Leandro."

A grateful smile fitted on his beautiful eyes. I was fascinated with his beautiful golden eyes. "Yes, I would love to be with you on your first scan, darling."

Finally, we arrived at the estate. Leandro cheerfully led me inside the palace while still holding my hand. I couldn't miss the way the maids look intently at our hands together. It made me blush slightly.

"I need to go to the city, mi esposa." He said after we arrived at my bedroom. "Are you sure that you are truly fine?"

I nodded, giving him a grin. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me just focus on your business for now I will be fine here."

He studied me for a moment, probably thinking if he could trust my words. Finally, when he seemed to be satisfied with whatever he saw in my eyes he smiled tenderly in my direction on kiss my lips briefly. "All right, if there's something wrong just call me, okay? Diego will be here with you to help you with anything."

"Okay," I grinned at him again, touching his cheek. "Go now. I'll see you at dinner time."

"Yes," He turned his face slightly so he could kiss my palm. "I'll be here before dinner time, Leila. Wait for me, all right? Let's have dinner together like on the island."

"If that's what you want."

I watched him leave my room as the maid brought the suitcase from my trip to my room. When the maid started to open my luggage to arrange my things I told her what Leandro bargain with me on our first night on the island. "I need to transfer my things to the master's bedroom."

The woman broke into a smile. "Certainly, Your Excellency."

I silently gazed at her as she calls for reinforcement to transfer my things to Leandro's room. I opened the drawer to my nightstand and found the piece of paper that would lead to Leandro's mother. I picked it up and read the address. "Mind if you call Diego? I need to talk to him." I asked the maids inside my room.