When We Met... 1865

*Sorry for the delay, enjoy the smut towards the end as a gift for my long delay. This Completes "When We Met..." A Forever Now short story.*

1865

Mikaela, according to her mother's letter, has found a suitor. According to her, she is very happy with him. “As I write this,” She wrote. “they are in the garden speaking. Earlier this evening he spoke with my dear husband about his plans for their relationship. Although reluctant at first, I convinced my dear husband to accept the proposal for marriage. I wanted to inform you that now with her engagement she will, of course, be unavailable, unlike her sister...” I crumbled the letter in my hand and threw it into the fire pit with all of my strength. I watched it burn, with it died my heart.

Mikaela, my Mikaela, married to another before I got my chance to tell her my real feelings. The letter, sent only a week ago, could be a total lie. Mrs. Tresky has wanted me to marry Franziska... perhaps this is a ploy?

Its it now April and the war has finally ended. We head back to town tonight and as we march I feel my heart constrict in my chest. It has been 2 months since my last communication with Mikaela or Mrs. Tresky and I am fearful to hear if there is any 'good' news. I hope there is not.

Unable to resist any longer, I slip away from my battalion as we near the woods. I walk as far away as possible before I put down my weapon and pack. I then changed my clothing to a simple shirt and pants and looked to the sky. Hadrian, my superior, answered me.

“Yes? Is something wrong?” He asks as he appears before me.

“No,” I shake my head and bow. “I need a favor.”

“It is yours.” He comes to me and we embrace. “What ever you want, it is yours.”

“Thank you, brother.” He looks around at our surroundings.

“We have won this war.” He notes. “Hixak was a fool to think his fall would do any good.”

“Perhaps,” I said. “he did make a difference... somewhere.”

“Father will not permit him back, did you know?” Hadrian looks at me with solemn eyes.

“I guessed as much.” I tapped my foot impatiently. “Hixak knows what he is doing, as do all his followers.”

“I just wish he'd thought it through.” Hadrian replied. “But I am here for you aren't I not? What is it that you need?”

“Mikaela-”

“Oh, yes. Mikaela, your human consort.”

“She is not my-”

“Who am I to judge.” Hadrian put his hands up innocently. “I can't judge who you are in love with... not when my heart betrays me so.”

“Hadrian,” I pat his cheek. “he will be back, one day.”

“Yes, but here I am again! What is it that you need?”

“I need to see her.”

“May I ask why?”

“I received a letter a few weeks ago saying she might be... married.” I looked down ashamed.

“You want to know whether you should leave now or see her.”

I nod.

“And you need me why?”