Chapter 1

AUTHORS NOTE: This book is currently being edited as of December 2022, I will be adjusting chapters as I write them. Thank you all for so much support. Big things are coming for Living With The Garrison Boys. 

Chapter 1 

If you were to had told me today would be the day my life changed forever, I probably wouldn't had believed you. I would have laughed in your face and told you to go kick rocks, because frankly, my life was as good as it could get.

"Raine Storm Weatherly! Come here please." I heard my grandmother yell, glancing over my shoulder in the direction of the voice, I try to pinpoint exactly where she may be.

Pursing my lips, I get off the couch and head directly towards the kitchen. My grandmother is leaning against the counter, her short gray hair pulled into a low ponytail with a pink patterned scarf across her head.

"What were you doing?" She questions with a soft smile.

"Watching TV."

"Why don't you help me make some lunch." My grandmother loved cooking, she always said cooking was the way to someone heart. She'd actually pursed a degree in culinary school back in college and dreamed of being a private chef, but got pregnant with my mother a little tooe arly.

"I'd be glad too." I said laughing and walking to the sink to turn on the facuet.

"What do you want to eat?" I asked her.

"Anything!" she replied happily.

I knew a sandwich would suffice, but if there was one thing my grandmother always taught me was to go above and beyond. Sandwiches were a basic dish for simple individuals, and my grandmother was extraordinary. Reaching for the cabinet, I grab a pack of ramen noodles. Now, ramen noodles were also a basic meal for a basic individual. I planned to saute them in a skillet with crushed red peppers, garlic and potetnailly throw an egg on there.

I completely zone out as I cook, humming to myself softly.

"Smells, great!"

I turn to look at my grandmother and notice how she's gone a little pale. I blink a few times, before deciding against saying anything. I knew my grandmother wouldn't like being dotted over. Ever since she'd been diagnosed with breast cancer, she started refusing help more and attempting to gain her independence.

I'm almost done with the ramen, when suddenly my cell phone is vibrating in my pocket. An unknown number flashes across the screen.

"Hello?"

"Rain, hey." The familiar voice meets my ears and immediately my face is lighting up. I couldn't believe it.

"Dad!" I say immediately, "Hey! How are you? Are you safe?"

My dad

My dad deployed oversees two years ago to complete his duty station while in the Army. He always tried to call at leas tonce a week, but I hadn't heard for him for almost three now. If anything, I'd began to think that maybe my dad was in danger or something was wrong with him. Hearing his voice was comforting. An immediate indicator that he was safe.

"Yes, I'm being safe sweets." He says with a gentle chuckle, "How have you been?"

"I've been great, grandma has been good too. Just the usual, school, come home, eat dinner repeat. I'm actually making lunch for her right now."

I'm currently living with my grandmother for this exact reason. She was the only family that I had who could care for me. My mother had passed away a few years back during her own deployment in Iraq, she'd swore of children after I was born, so I didn't have any siblings. My grandmother was the only relative that could care for me – or offered to care for me actually.

"Thats good, I'm glad everything's been working out and you're doing great — hold on, sweets." There is a pause on the phone as I begin to pour the noodles in the bowl, "Hey Raine, I'm sorry, but I have to go okay? I love you and I'll call you next week."

Before I can answer him, the phone is clicking and I inhale sharply. Don't let it get to you, don't let it get to you. I keep repeating to myself. Clearing my throat, I walk into the living room to see my grandmother sitting on the couch.

"Your ramen is done." I say as I approach her, but my grandmother is already raising from her seat, "Where are you going?"

"To lay down, I don't feel too well." She whispers.

Of course not. She hasn't been feeling too well for a long while now and frankly, it was beginning to worry me. But again, I knew the rule. Don't smother grandma and until it was serious don't say anything. I simply nod as she rises to leave and clutch the warm bowl in my hand. I decide I should eat the ramen instead of letting it go to waste. Settling into the couch, I reach for the remote to see what shows were on.

For the next hour and a half, I'm in indulged in Keeping Up With The Kardasihans, I wasn't too big a fan of reality TV, but there was something about this family that was almost addicting to watch. It's not until the four episode marathon ends that I realize what time it is and how far time has progressed. I walk to the kitchen to clean my dish before tidying up the dirty dishes in the sink. Afterwards, I head directly up the stairs to go check on my grandmother.

If I have to be honest with you, everything else is a bit of a blur. I remember going into the spare guest room that my grandmother stayed in, and remembering she had to take her medicine. I'd gently shook her arm, but got no reaction. Everything after that moves a little too quickly for me. Because she's not waking up and she's not budging at all.

At some point, I must have called 911 because there's a hoard for men running into the room and gently ushering me int the corner. One man had come to console me, but I don't remember what he was saying, I just remember looking over his shoulder the best I could to watch as they pulled out machines and needles and devices to safe my grandmother.

I also don't remember going to the hospital nor to the police station afterwards.

"Where are your parents?"

"My moms dead, my dad is oversees on deployment." My voice is flat.

"You are a minor," The officer says tapping his pin against his notebook, "Do you have anybody you can stay with me?"

I don't answer, because nobody comes to mind. I wasn't close to any of my relatives since we moved all the time nor did I have any of their numbers.

With a sigh, the officer clicks his pen, "Can you please tell me your full name?"

"Rain Storm Weatherly."

"That's a cute name."

"Thanks," I mumble.

I feel numb. Was I suppose to cry? Was I suppose to scream? Who was going to be watching me after this? The officer goes to walk away and I'm left int he cold room by myself. I wrap my arms around my body and pull my knees to my chest in the wooden chair.

What feels like hours go by before the officer returns again, "Rain, we had a few officers look in our records for a potential will your parents or grandmother had left. If anything was to happen to your grandmother while your father was deployed, they desired you to go live with Mrs. Garrison."

I didn't know who that woman was, I'd never heard of her my entire life.

"We will have a social worker stay the night with you before Mrs. Garrison flies in. The social worker will explaining everything to you."

And she does. The nice black woman with a bright smile and wide eyes tells me everything. How I'll be moving from California and hoping on a flight to Georgia with Mrs. Garrison. Apparently she was a family friend and the only other person on the list to contact if my grandmother ever passed away. Sadly, she wouldn't give me any more information, in fact, she encouraged me to get to know Mrs. Garrison and ask her myself.

Like I said, If you would have told me that my life would have changed in a matter of hours, I wouldn't have believed you.

And now, my world feels like it's flipping upside down.