Chapter 40: Greed

Yo, Reapers! WUDDUP? 

Don't forget to VOTE & LEAVE FEEDBACK! Your support and love helps me write and helps me get noticed by publishers!! ;)

***

IMPORTANT::::::::::::::::::::::::::

** PLEASE take the time to vote for "Death Is My BFF" on The If List, so that it can one day become a MOVIE OR TV SHOW! How cool would that be?!?!

No but really, vote or else Death WON'T find you. ;)))))))))))))))))))))

The link for The If List is in the EXTERNAL LINK.

Link is ALSO on the tippy top of my profile!

;)

Hugs and Knives,

Death?

[Please play the music on side before reading!!]

* * *

                        "I'm standing up here, ladies and gentlemen," Devin Star continued into the microphone, "not as the man you define from advertisements and tabloids, but as a man in a position where I can reach out to millions and get a message across. The crime rate in downtown Chicago has increased 66.6% over the past ten years alone. That percentage is unheard of..."

                        "Why aren't we trying to find David?" I asked Ace. Once again, I was aware of the coldness of the dagger under my dress. I felt like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, except the Angel of Death was the one with fangs aimed at my throat.

                        "Because that's exactly what he wants," Ace replied softly, his attention still honed in the stage and his expression impenetrable. "Before we do anything, we need to wait until people start walking around, or for the entertainment to begin. Concentrating, I estimate I can remain in tact for three more hours. Entertainment should be in about thirty minutes, after people eat a little bit. We'll leave the room and draw him out. I don't want to start a huge theatrical scene in the ballroom."

                        "Makes sense." I played with the ends of my dress. "So, entertainment, huh? What exactly is this event?"

                         He beamed. "Oh, you'll see."

                        "That percentage is overlooked," I tuned back into Devin Star's speech, "and when that percentage is overlooked, our children are overlooked. Disciplinary educational laws are essential in order to stunt the growth of adolescent crime in our city and no action is being made to put those laws in place. The crime in Chicago defines us. It defines us as irresponsible, for letting our own city weaken from the inside out, and it defines us as too tolerant, for letting these crimes worsen. So, with that all being said, it's time to make a change. I thank you all for your generous contributions. It is going towards a great cause, believe me."

                        Instead of clarifying the cause further, Devin grinned; a beautiful display of straight white teeth and sparkling sapphire eyes, and it was then that half of the audience burst into unbelievably loud laughter. It was if the other half of the audience, which I was a part of, had missed some hidden punch line. Looking around, I assumed that the ones, who weren't laughing, were humans.