My Safe Place

I woke up in a bed. That scent. It was his bed.

The pounding in my head was horrible. Like somebody scraped me from the inside out. I licked the inside of my bottom lip, tasting that salty flavor on the fresh wound. It stung when my tongue touched it.

Every single part of my body was in pain. Sorrow, bitter pain. I touched my cheek and noticed it was all hot and swollen. That's gonna live a nasty bruise.

I was dressed in his shirt. It was so big and rough. Not gentle at all. But sort of cozy. Like him.

Twilight was setting on the town. I could see the shadowy shapes of buildings through the window, a light glimpse of sunset hiding behind them.

My hair was still wet. The lips were chapped, and my tongue parched. I need to get something to drink. I slowly stood up, noticing that the left side of my body was really sore and painful, my shoulder, my back…I saw a red wound on my elbow. Must've scratched it when I fell.

I got out of the bed, walking slowly towards the door, when I suddenly felt so dizzy…the heat struck me in the head…my eyes became foggy…I was falling.

The door slammed as he caught my fall. He had so strong, and yet incredibly gentle hands. He held me like I was made from glass. So fragile. So pathetic. I grabbed onto his hand, trying to pull myself up.

»Slow down, lil' kitty.« He softly growled.

»I'm fine.« I said. His secret was eating into my mind. It was sitting in the left corner of my dark mind. I didn't want to think about it, but I knew it was there. Like a monster hiding in the closet, waiting to come out. I looked at my bare feet. »Where are my clothes?« I asked, tugging on the end of the big shirt, trying to cover my legs.

»They were wet, so I took them off…They are in the bathroom, drying on the radiator.« He answered, carefully examining me with those dark eyes.

»Did you…« I avoided his look.

»I held my eyes close the entire time. Well, maybe I peeked a bit.« He laughed for a second, but his smile soon faded away again. »Skye…« He moved closer to me, trying to touch me, but I jumped away. I don't know why I did that. I guess it was all just too much for one day. He moved his hand away from me. »Are you,« He ruffled his wet hair, which now seemed completely black. »disgusted by me?« I saw sadness.

»No.« I told him the truth. »It's just…it's too much for one day…all at once…« I shook my head, trying to get the pain out. »I need to ask you stuff, I just can't think of any questions...«

»C'mon,« He turned around and put his hands in his pockets. »I'll make you some tea. When your clothes get dry, I'll take you home. Okay?«

I nodded.

His kitchen was…sort of clean. Well, compared to the last time. I mean it still looked pretty horrible, but at least the dishes were clean, drying on the kitchen counter. No empty milk cartons, or beer cans, or bags of chips…no nothing. »It's so…neat.« I couldn't help but to comment.

»Yeah,« The water in the cattle started boiling. »when I'm nervous I clean. Or cook. Whatever.« He took the pot with the hot water and turned off the stove. I chuckled. He reminded me of my mom a bit.

Big bad wolf cleaning when nervous.

That was just hilarious. »Here.« He offered me a cup of hot chamomile tea.

I tasted it. It was disgusting. So bitter. »This is horrible.« I coughed while trying to laugh.

»Sorry.« He chuckled. His eyes suddenly became dark again. Dark like the darkest night. »You know, you can ask me anything. Anything at all.« He clenched onto his cup of tea. I could see the misty cloud of white steam coming out of it. He still didn't taste it. No wonder he kept on making it.