Door 1 - Chapter 12 - Reaching Out

After the incident with his son, Bob dedicated himself to work, attending to his official duties as an assistant as well as helping with Porter due to his failing health. Outside of the office, though, Bob retreated in his shell, like a defeated man too scared to come out. 

Meanwhile, it was the opposite for Harris, who couldn't focus at all on work, trying to think of ways to reconcile Bob with his family. As far as he was concerned, his job didn't matter much. He recalled the days at the hospital he'd spent lamenting the lack of purpose in his life. He had one now.

Still, it would have helped if Bob was a little more interested in reaching out to his family, but whenever the matter was brought up he would avoid the subject. It was obvious that he was embarrassed, not with what had happened at the office, but with himself and the low depths his family had sunken to because of him. His delusions had faded and the situation couldn't be clearer.

"Why don't you go back home and apologize to your wife?" Harris asked.

"She's refusing to talk to me, says that she'll only forgive me if I can get the kids back together."

"I get where she's coming from. But why don't you do something about it, then?"

"But I don't know what I can say to Lenny," said Bob dejectedly, "If it wasn't for me, he'd be in college."

"You can't do anything about that, it's done. What you can do is apologize to him for everything."

"That won't be good enough."

"You've got to reach out", said Harris, "And to do that we're going to have to go to him."

It was common knowledge where Leonard would be – around the Corner Inn. Harris spotted him in the alleyway behind it. Leonard had his back rested on a dumpster and was muttering something incoherently.

"Leonard?" Harris asked, the boy doubled nervously, staring at him wide-eyed.

"Whozzat? I don' owe you nothing.'"

"Calm down, it's me, the guy that used to pay you."

"Oh... I thought summone mighta come," Leonard flopped back on the dumpster again. "Why you here? Feelin' bad for me?"

"I wanted to talk about your father," said Harris flashing a look toward Bob to remain hidden. Leonard scoffed in disgust.

"I told ya, I don't want nothin' with him."

"He wants to apologize and take you home."

"I gotta home, man, I see my mom crying there every day. He didn't see that."

"He wants to make amends. Just give him a chance."

"Man, you look like a cool dude and all but if you aint here to lay some cash on me then you can just skedaddle," said Leonard looking away. Harris wondered whether to try later but Bob had other ideas.

"Lenny! What've you done to yourself?" He remarked. As expected, Leonard's face changed at the sight of his father. The apathetic features morphed into contempt as he picked himself up from his spot and attempted to walk away, Bob caught up with him. "Listen to me. You've got to get out of this."

"And how do I that? You're gonna help me?" asked Leonard angrily, still trying to hide his face. "It's too late for that."

"No it's not. Come with me."

"I can't! I'm in too deep!"

"What are you-?" Bob turned him around as Harris looked in aghast. The boy's face was heavily bruised, a swollen lip and a blackened eye. "Son..."