09 | ι ωιsн yoυ ωoυℓ∂

We're a crooked love

In a straight line down

Chapter 09 ~ I Wish You Would

      Liam Slater

"Hey, what do you think of this one?" Marcy asked, gesturing towards the cherry red jewel-encrusted dress she was wearing as she waltzed out of the dressing room.

It was Monday afternoon and Marcy had practically dragged me out of the house to go dress shopping with her. Normally, I would have told her to fuck off, but I desperately needed to get out of my room. Ever since the whole fiasco last night, I had been thinking about how much Max must have hated me for reacting so violently. I couldn't understand why he cared about the asshole in the first place, but whatever the reason, he successfully made me feel like I was the bad guy.

"It looks fine," I muttered under my breath.

Marcy sighed and placed her hands on her hips in frustration. "Liam, you said that about the last six dresses."

I shrugged. "They all looked fine."

She threw her head back and groaned. "Come on, Liam. I need your help." Her deep umber eyes snapped to me when my phone vibrated for the thousandth time. "And who the hell keeps texting you?"

I glanced down at my phone to see Max's illuminating the screen. He had been texting me non-stop ever since I fled the coffee shop, but I never bothered to return any of his texts in fear of making matters worse.

Marcy snatched the phone from my hands and studied the screen. "Who is Max?"

I should've told her to mind her own business, but I didn't have enough energy or motivation to do so.

But Marcy wasn't taking my silence as an answer. "Who is he?" She pressed further.

"A friend of mine," I responded dryly, with no emotional attachment to my words.

Marcy's delicate brows pulled together into a straight line. "A friend of yours?" She questioned. "How do you have friends that I don't know about?"

"Easy," I bit back, "I just don't tell you about them."

She squinted her eyes, studying me carefully, before finally giving up with a loud, obnoxious huff. She tossed my phone onto my lap and turned to look at herself in the mirror. "It's good that you're making friends."

I rolled my eyes deep into my sockets. I hated everyone trying to pressure me into socializing. I genuinely tried to make friends, but it ended with me breaking someone's nose. "So, I need to make friends in order to be acceptable in your eyes?"

Marcy looked over her shoulder at me. "Liam, you know that's not what I'm saying."

"Isn't it?" I challenged her with a raised brow. I had no idea how I could have gone from liking Marcy to absolutely hating her in a year's time. "Admit it. You're trying to fix me, because that's what you do. You fix things. But guess what? You can't fix everything. No matter how hard you try, they will always be broken in some way, shape or form."

She stared back at me with an incredulous look morphing onto her face. "I'm not trying to fix anything, Liam. I just want you to be happy. When's the last time you went on a date?"

Images of Max flickered through my mind, but I tried to fight a smile.

"Remember Sally Parker?" She asked with a raised brow. "She's totally into you. I could set you guys up if you'd like."

I slumped backward in my chair, shaking my head in disbelief and groaning all at the same time.

"I'm gay, Marcy."