Voices in the Dark

Okay, so I know I posted this yesterday, but, I added a lot to it and I decided more on where the story's going. I'm definitely going to keep writing this one, but whether I upload or not depends on if anyone wants to read:) So, give it a vote or a comment if you would be interested in reading more of this. And, if you hate it, feel free to let me know that one too.               

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

              "Emory, you bitch!" he yelled after me as I ran, my footfalls heavy in the soggy night. Darkness was my only cover, and my legs my only salvation. I dodged down the least lit street I could find and paused to listen, trying to distinguish Nate's footsteps from the rain that had just begun to fall. I stood tense, poised to run at a moment's notice, my eyes dilated against the black cover of night. I heard the distinct sounds of pounding feet and heavy breathing slide past the entrance to my hiding place, my polite little street, and turned back the way I had come, moving as silently as I could. Every couple of feet I looked behind me, sure I had heard footsteps, or seen a shadow. I was being paranoid; the entire town was full of shadows, shifting and sighing beneath the sizzle of the rain. I raised a hand to my face to rake my dripping hair from my eyes, suppressing the shivers that wracked my body.

                I decided then that I missed the city; the lights, the people, and, most of all, the taxies that sped along with freakish frequency. I clenched my jaw to still my chattering teeth and began to run again through the rain, my arms folded tightly across my body as if held there by a strait jacket. I think I started to cry. It was impossible to tell though, because of the rain. It felt like my heart stopped beating, and I wasn't sure if I was breathing. The adrenaline was wearing off, the adventure had ended, and all I wanted was to go home. I let out a shuddering breath, and then I wailed, letting the sound grow to a crescendo that matched my grief. I stopped walking and slumped down against the nearest building with my knees pulled in tight to my chest, letting the rain soak through me, letting the shivers take hold of my body.

                "Emory!" I cursed loudly and jumped up from the ground, looking around wildly for the man I knew had called my name. My heart sank when I saw him, less than twenty feet away, coming towards me at a jog. I turned and bolted the other way down the street, but my shoes were wet, and the ground was wet, and I was tired, and as I crashed down into the ground, the asphalt slicing my palms and burning my face, I decided it was time to give up. So I just lay there, bleeding mutely into the pavement, and waited for Nate to reach me.

                "What the fuck are you doing?" he asked, breathless, when he caught up to me, and I could hear him trying to hold on to his anger. I didn't answer him. "Emory!" he cried, exasperated, nudging me with the toe of his shoe.  "Christ, are you alright?" He leaned down and turned me over, squinting down at me through the rain.

                "Boo," I said, lying flat on my back. Nate's hands, which had been resting on my shoulders, shot back, and he cursed.

                "What do you think you're doing? And why did you run away? It's fucking cold out, Em, and I really just want to go home."

                "Then go." He ran a hand through his hair, shaking his head like a dog to get the water out, even as the rain poured down on him.

                "You know I can't do that Emory. I asked you a question. I want an answer." I sighed, covering my eyes with my hands.

                "Well I don't have one. Go," I told him, then counted to sixty in my head. When he didn't answer, I lifted my hands from my eyes and looked up. He wasn't there; he'd really gone home. I suddenly felt very hollow, and utterly lost. I pushed myself up off the ground and started to walk again, turning down a twisting series of roads; I was headed for the train tracks.