Shopping For Grace

Shopping For Grace

by Caitlin Sumer

Two years have passed since Grace got lost. That’s the way Sue refers to what happened to her daughter that day at the mall. According to the new dress code at the middle school that year, collars were required on all shirts. Fashion Bug, The Limited, and A&F all set out displays of polo shirts in a variety of luscious colors. Grace was a big girl for thirteen and hard to shop for. In the back of her mind Sue thought they should probably check the racks at Lane Bryant, but Grace had her heart set on the Abercrombie polos with the tiny moose. Sue spoiled Grace bad, and she knew it. She always said Grace came into her life for a reason and if that meant spending an extra two or three hundred every now and again, then so be it.

While Sue checked the sale rack at the rear of the store, Grace pawed through the sweaters near the entrance. The place was mobbed that day. It was the Sunday before Labor Day and on top of all the end-of-summer clearance sales and back-to-school specials, it was pouring rain outside. Every mother and daughter in the tri-county area was at the mall.

Sue always said she saw the lights flashing when she picked up a pair of size 16 cords in Grace’s favorite color - maroon. Seconds after the flashing lights, she felt the crashing pain above her left temple. Sue’s migraines hit her like a ton of bricks, but this one was different. This one left her gasping for air. She dropped the maroon pants and pushed her way to the front of the store. Grace would just have to understand. Sue told herself she’d come back the next day and pick up the polos, a few sweaters, and the cords. Then Grace would surely forgive her for cutting their shopping day short.

Sue got to the sweater display at the entrance and didn’t see Grace. She glanced back into the crowded store. Grace would be hard to miss. With her large orange parka and size 11 crocs, she wasn’t your typical Abercrombie girl. Sue decided to stay put and wait for her at the exit.

But her headache got worse. The familiar nauseous waves started in the pit of her stomach and rolled upward towards her chest. Where was that girl? If only she could get a message to her. For weeks Grace had been begging her for a cell phone and now Sue was kicking herself for putting it off. The only place Grace could be was the dressing rooms and the thought of pushing back through the crowd to find her sent Sue into a panic.

Nearby, a sales associate began refolding the sweaters. Sue peered at her nametag. “Please, Kelly. My daughter. Can you check for me?”

Kelly took one look at Sue’s bloodshot eyes and gray face and knew something was wrong.“Can I get you a drink of water?”

Sue slid down and slumped over the striped angora sweaters. “Her name is Grace. Get her. Please.”

Later Sue would insist she was out for two hours, but according to mall security, it was only five minutes. By the time Kelly returned the woman from the information kiosk was comforting Sue with smelling salts and bottled water. Sue glanced up at Kelly. Kelly shook her head and Sue understood.

She crawled into bed that afternoon and slept until the tears came. Two days later she told everyone that Grace was lost and would not be starting the eighth grade that year.

****

Today’s a September scorcher and Sue’s at the mall. She recently started the indoor walking program her doctor recommended. This puts her at the mall every weekday morning an hour before the stores open. It’s unusual for her to be here on a Sunday. But she needs the air conditioning. That and she’s been thinking about Grace again.

Some of the stores changed hands in the two years since she’d lost Grace. But many of the employees, including Kelly, still remember that day. No one actually saw the big girl with the orange parka. She certainly would have stood out from the rest of the mall girls. Kelly feels sorry for Sue but her coworkers are still a bit afraid of her. They remember her raging headache and wild pleas to find her daughter. But in the end, they all agree that the incident that day forced Sue to get the help she needed. These days she looks healthy. There’s a spring in her step and a twinkle in her eye. Kelly said it was sad that Sue didn’t have any kids because she’d make a great mom.

Sue passes the animal blanket kiosk and the smoothie place. She glances at the window displays in Fashion Bug and the Bombay Company. She slows at Abercrombie and Fitch. She has a habit of glancing inside for Grace even though her doctor tries to help her with that. Today she enters the store and standing there at the new fall sweater display is a girl. It can’t be. Yes, it is. It has to be Grace. She’s about eleven now. A big girl. Maybe a little too big for the low-rise jeans she has on. But she's wearing a pair of Uggs and they're the real thing, not some cheap copy. Sue pushes her way inside the store and over to the girl.

“Grace?” The girl startles. Who is this crazed woman?

“Where were you? I was looking for you. I found some maroon pants I want you to try on. Wait right here and I’ll get them.”

Sue heads for the sale rack. There’s a great selection of polos this year. Perfect for Grace. Perfect for a sixth grader.