chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

     I STILL AIN’T SEE IT COMING    

It was Harriet my ex-ballet dance partner. What on earth was she doing here I questioned Aryan by raising a perfectly threaded eyebrow.  

“surprise” they all said lamely, it showed that some thing went against their planning, Stella looked clearly annoyed for some reason, maybe its due to her suffering from OCD. OCD, one of her cons that has all ways been a pro for me as she always cleaned and organised my room, locker and closet. Shamefully I have to admit that she always knew where my belongings were kept better than I did.

“OMG”

“omg, is that all we get ?” Stella asked in a frustated tone, maybe expecting something more, lord her mood swings drive me and Aryan insane I wonder at times if she is bipolar to. She could throw unbelievable tantrums if things didn't go as planned.

“I am speechless” I said tyring not to upset anyone, Stella specifically as I had seen her face stiffen earlier which was now unsurprisingly relaxed, yup definitely bipolar.

“We all know what that means”said Gabriella

Said who Gabriella. GABRIELLA. IS . HERE

“Gabby” I screamed on top of my lungs and gave her tight hug that could crush her bones if I were that strong.

“ Even after telling you since a long time you’ll still call me Gabby, right ?”

“ If  I don’t call you Gabby then what do I call you ?”

“ I dunno, how about Ella ?”

Before I could say any thing Stella chimed “ Hey I called dibs on that name first” wonderful now we also have to call dibs on names as if they are the last packet of cheetos on a long road trip 

“ Okay okay lets try Bri like others ?” I could sense hope in her voice

“ Fine with me, G-a-b-b-y ” I teased, she simply sighed and droped the topic as she rolled her eyes at my immaturity when she was the one fussing over her name.  

“I wish I received a hug or any thing nice” Harriet hinted feeling left out

A sudden feeling if guilt rushed through me

I went and hugged her tightly, just to satisfy her and over come some guilt

“ You have to tell me how you guys spent to much of time planning this without killing my best dance partner ?” I enquired while conveying a unspoken message of gratitude.

“She’s not my favourite person on the earth but she provided you company when we count” Aryan whispered sheepishly as he we gestured amongst himself Stella and Gabby “ and I don’t know how but I know that you enjoyed it” I thanked them with my 360 degree smile fully understanding what he meant. It’s not very difficult to dislike Harriet.

I met her in my sophomore year when I came to attend a dance workshop in Julliard during the summer, where as she was on a scholarship and lived all alone because her family was back in England.

“Is there something else that I should know ?” I asked

“No not much” replied Aryan

“Means much, right ?” 

With a smirk on their silly faces they led me to the inside of the restaurant. I was too tuned out to notice any thing there except to my friends seated there. All of my best friends came across the vast seven oceans to celebrate my birthday with me. The surprise wasn't predictable, it really wasn't. 

Completely convinced that I had spaced out I kept on walking, its not that I spaced out a lot but I can’t help it at times. 

If Harriet and Gabby are here they all could be here to. Reason ? Not sure but maybe to convince me to come back. We’ll need wait and watch.

After walking up to the table I remained quiet waiting for them to say something or burst the bubble to remind me I wasn't dreaming.

When moments of silence passes by (not a moment many many moments) I picked up the menu card going through all the appetizers that would be bland enough for Stells, Gabby and Harriet to eat without shedding tears. Aryan and my taste buds were quite used to spiciness due to the habit of eating Indian cuisine daily.

“ Y'all shouldn't get so worked up, even I wasn’t acknowledged till I asked her to ! ” Harriet broke the silence.

“ Hold it right there!.... You guys are here!..... I’m not dreaming. Oh my freaking god you guys are actually here, holy flipping bullpoopie how could I imagine dreaming this when it is happening.” I said while speaking more to my self than others

“ Well now that you have seem to have realise that we are here and also that you're not dreaming would you say something to confirm that all our effort hasn't gone uselessly down the drain ?” asked Derek the dork with a smirk.

Well he really wasn't a dork but I just called him one for fun. I found him more religious and spiritual than the pundit of the local temple at Santa Cruz not that there was anything wrong with it but it seemed funny at times that he knew more about Hinduism than my entire family when he born in a white American household, got married to his high school sweetheart as soon as he turned 19 and she turned 18 to the only girl he ever dated which happened to be Gabby. 

Not being able to speak I chose to smack the back of his head with my palm as usual. His grin confirmed to me that it worked, greeting others felt like a brilliant idea at the same time. I greeted with all the enthusiasm that I astonishingly controlled today.

All my dear friends were here with me today. Aryan with Stells, Gabby and Derek with their months over a year old daughter Jenna whom I considered my niece, Harriet, Aastha and her twin Sahil. All of them were here but where was he? We had agreed on remaining friends and being on talking terms, frankly speaking we also were. Situations left us know other options  because maintaining a relationship when both of us lived in the different ends of the planet would have been impractical. When the rest of them could come here why couldn't  he? Moreover why shouldn't or wouldn't he ? It was not that he was busy balancing the whole universe on his pinkie!

“ Looking for somebody ? ” Aryan tried to mock me

“ Yes” I answered back as I threw him glare and an onion at his that was kept in a container filled with vinegar

“ Who ? ” he asked knowingly

“ Brad Pitt ” I answered as the rest of us threw more onions at his face“ Who do you think idiot”

“ Just saying ” he replied

“ Peace creatures let us not waste any more onions.” interrupted Aastha the peacemaker

“ Creatures ? really sissy ? ” Sahil spoke up at the wrong time like always

“ Yes creatures, because certainly didn't behave like grownup human beings.”

“ Before you guys forget none of you have wished me and already made feel guilty for not saying anything at first” I reminded them before any sibling fights spoilt the mood

They all mumbled their apologies and wished me. The waiter came and took our orders. Another one came and served us water before our food came even though asked for mineral water as some people weren't immune to it.  

Soon we all started chatting tyring to catchup on all we have missed out on each other. 

I completely in a state of bliss still one n only thought that lingered in my mind was him.