Chapter 15

Chapter 15

“If I’m going to be staying here, I need to get some stuff from home,” Liam said, putting an extra emphasis on the ‘home’ part.

“We can go get some things if you want.”

“What if we spend the night at the apartment? We can catch up, and I can cook some burgers.”

He sounded hopeful. I shook my head and gave him a small teasing smile.

“Why?”

“I want to know what you’ve been up to these past few weeks. It’s obvious you’ve been keeping things from me,” he said, taking a few steps closer to me.

His hands were in his jean pockets, and he had such an innocent, shy expression on his face. He looked like a little boy.

“We talked every day. I only kept those two things from you,” I replied, referring to Estella and Shane being gone, and Caine and I being mates.

“I don’t know Charlie, I just don’t trust this,” he said, motioning with his hands around the room.

He was talking about being in Locus Pack, staying with Caine.

“If we’re going to start this again, then I’m going to need that burger,” I said, and gave him a wider grin.

I was very aware that it was a conversation Liam and I would have more times than I would’ve liked. It wasn’t so much that he didn’t like Caine, or that he was against Locus Pack. Liam just didn’t trust Alphas and he hated pack life.

Lesley was the only one downstairs when Liam and I left the room.

“You can’t leave,” Lesley stated, her voice sounding moody.

I was used to it, so I simply rolled my eyes at her.

“She doesn’t take orders from you, pup,” Liam told her.

He secured his arm around my shoulders and started dragging me to the front doors, not caring about the daggers Lesley was shooting at us.  

Of course our exit wouldn’t come without a fight. I knew that because Lesley was the one watching over me. She was in front of us, blocking our path, right after we passed by her side.

“The Alpha gave me strict orders to keep you here, Luna. We’re going to have visitors,” Lesley said through gritted teeth.

Her words were directed at Liam, although I knew anger was practically Lesley’s second nature. If that girl wasn’t angry, she wasn’t happy.

Caine had been acting strange ever since Macon and Victor had pulled him away from me the previous day. Warmth took over my face and neck when I remembered what Caine and I had been doing before he left.

I dismissed the thought, even though memories of the previous day and the moment Caine and I had shared kept replaying in my mind all day.

All last night, Caine had spent it coming and going from our home to the pack prison. He’d kept quiet, but I knew something was going on.

By the time I woke up, late in the morning, he was already gone. He had called me a few times throughout the day to check how things were going, but I hadn’t gotten a chance to be with him.

“I don’t give a crap what his orders were. Charlie and I are going out,” Liam said, ignoring her.

Lesley didn’t back off, which made Liam cock an eyebrow. He wasn’t taking her seriously and he wasn’t going to. If Liam wasn’t scared of Caine, there was no way in hell Lesley would freak him out.