Chapter 9

“But what about school?” were the words that immediately slid out of my mouth.  Missing school was not something I usually did.  I worked hard to maintain my wonderful grades, and being absent would throw me off tack.

My dad smiled slightly.  “Honey, it’s only Saturday,” he replied.  “The car should be working by tomorrow.”

It would have been more comforting if he’d sounded more certain.

I glanced at Dannon from the corner of my eye.  He stared off into space, pursing his lips.  He didn’t look mad—when did he?  But he didn’t look thrilled either.  He looked . . . sad.  I felt my stomach do an uncomfortable flip.  Dannon looked sad.  Dannon never looked anything besides happy and amused.  The absence of a smile on his face put me on edge to be honest.

I shook the thoughts of Dannon out of my head, turning back to the problem at hand.  “But what if it doesn’t?”

My dad let out an exasperated breath of air.  “Then we’ll call your school.  Listen, I’m sorry that the car had an unexpected issue, but there’s nothing we can do right now.  We’ll see what’s up with it tomorrow.  For now, why don’t you just chill out?”  He turned to Dannon and Kyla.  “You two have some parents to call.”

Dannon and Kyla nodded.  Dannon stretched out his arms, while Kyla stood up.  She stared at his arms in awe.  I could just see it now.  “Oh my gosh look at his muscles flex!” she’d screech when we were alone.  Girls.  Sometimes I was ashamed to be one.

“I don’t have my phone,” Kyla whined, pouting.  “Can I used someone’s?”

“Oh, here we go,” Hartin grumbled.  “I do not want to have to deal with this all night.”

I rolled my eyes and dished my phone out of my pocket, handing it over to Kyla.  She thanked me, shooting a glare in Hartin’s direction.  If there weren’t adults in the room she’d be flipping him off right now, I knew she would.  She stood up, strutting out of the room before Hartin could even attempt to utter a smart-ass retort, punching numbers on the phone as she went.

It was then that I turned my attention to Dannon.  He pulled his phone out of his sweatshirt pocket, dialing his number and bringing his phone to his ear.  Unlike Kyla he didn’t bother to leave the room.  It was like leaving the room took too much time.  Or maybe, if he was the lazy type, too much effort.

“Hey, Dad it’s me,” he murmured into the phone.  “Their car broke down so we’re not going to be able to get home tonight.”  He paused.  “Yeah.”  Another pause.  “I don’t know.”

I watched as his emotionless expression turned to one of dread as he listened to his father’s words.  I wondered what his dad was saying.  Was he yelling at him?  Was he condemning him to life inside the house?  I doubted it.  Why would his dad do such a thing?  And he sounded nice on the phone. . . .

“Yeah, I know I have an appointment—” He stopped and glanced at me as his dad cut him off.  He tried his best to smile, but I could tell it was faked.  “They’re going to try and get us home by tomorrow.”  A pause.  “If we don’t make it, can’t we just reschedule?”  His eyes shot up to the ceiling, looking torn.  “Why not?”

My eyebrows drew together.  What kind of appointment was so important that you couldn’t reschedule?  My eyebrows narrowed, curiosity piking.  Dannon glanced at me and shook his head.  I sagged, not being able to help but feel disappointed.  Looked like he wasn’t going to tell me what his appointment was for.

“I’m sorry, there’s nothing I can do.”  Dannon’s voice dropped to a whisper.  He looked around apologetically at everyone.  He probably thought he was being rude—acting torn and upset because he was stuck here.  But Aunt Jill wouldn’t mind.  She’d know that he was kind enough.