Maintenance

The sound of metal scraping against concrete filled my ears as I dragged my leg behind me. With each scrape the information being sent to my processor shorted. I needed to get my leg repaired before the damage spread. 

I scanned the area; old farm house, built 1924. Six families have lived within the walls. Currently zero inhabitants. 

I kept walking, passing by a couple other people. There weren't many full humans anymore, they either left or chose to be modified. Those who had chosen to stay had become violent and started attacking our kind. That was why I scanned. I was constantly scanning. 

I scanned another small building, a diner built in 1950. It had gone through twelve owners and names. Currently unoccupied. The information went fuzzy every time my leg dragged. 

Unoccupied, uninhabited, that was the state of many of the homes and businesses in this area. Repair shops tended to be located in the quieter parts of the city. They didn't want the broken cyborgs slowing down every day business like I would with my leg. 

When I got to the shop I reached out to the door handle and pulled, but the door wouldn't open. I looked up at the sign, back down to the door, and then left and right. 

I took a few steps back, the metal screeching with each step and I scanned the building. No one is inside but it doesn't say why. It shouldn't be closed, it was the middle of the day. We don't close unless there's a reason. 

I scanned more of the area. There was nothing around; no cyborgs, no humans, no signs of anything. Usually there's at least something. 

I knew of another shop a few blocks over, it was usually my last resort though. I started dragging my leg behind me again as I made a turn to go the couple blocks. 

Partway down the road I heard a rattle. It sounded like glass being kicked across cement. I stopped and tilted my head, listening as my eyes scanned and sent the information to my processor. 

I heard another sound to my right. I turned to scan, but was hit from behind. I heard metal on metal, I could feel where it was metal on flesh, and I fell to the ground. When I tried to get back up, I was struck again. 

Humans rushed out from all sides, five of them. I recognized one of the faces, Anthony, a boy I went to school with when I was younger. A boy that I had saved from the school bullies at one time. 

My movements were jerky, the parts run by bionics were shorting out from one of the first blows. I tried to bring my hand up to shield myself from the impending blow by Anthony, but my arm just couldn't move fast enough. 

I could feel one person kicking flesh and hitting bone while another was making contact with pure metal. I could feel the pieces shorting out, becoming obsolete. 

"What a freak!" One of them shouted as their foot swung back and straight into my spine. 

"Did you chose to be come this, freak? Are you a traitor?" Another asked as he swung a bat down and straight into my chest. I could hear the crack of bone and the clank of metal. I could hear sparks flying from somewhere. 

I was breaking. 

"I should have known you were a freak," Anthony said as he brought a crowbar down at the back of my head. 

The assult stopped, all of them looking down at their handy work. I tried moving, but the parts were doing nothing. My vision started to short out. The images flashing in my bionic eye, unable to send anything to the processor which was shutting down, broken from the damage. 

There was one more assult from a bat to my chest before they finally walked off. 

I laid on my back on the ground. The sky above tinting different colors in my one eye. The image fading in and out. My other eye, my human eye was closing. 

I could feel my body starting to shut down. This was what I got for chosing to make myself different, for improving myself. 

Just as the last of my vision was flashing in and out, fading for good, a face appeared over me. 

Pale blond hair fell down framing the soft face. All flesh. She looked down at me, a horrified look in those light green eyes. 

Another one. 

Another human horrified at what I was. 

Her mouth moved, talking to me I think, but I couldn't hear anything she said. I didn't want to hear what she had to say. I didn't want to hear anything else. 

She waved a hand in front of my face, her lips still moving. Worry lines creasing between her brows. What was she worried about? It wasn't like I could do anything to her now. Not that I would have done anything before. 

That was when I realized; she wasn't horrified by what I was, she was horrified at what she had stumbled upon. She was worried about me. A human was worried about a cyborg. 

My vision flashed one more time before everything went dark. 

**************

This is my entry for the Hear Here contest about revolution. I hope you enjoyed it. 

This is a one part story, so this is it. However, I do really like this character and this idea so at some point in the future I may possibly pick it up and do a story for it. I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Well. That's all Folks! Thanks for reading!