Welcome to the Swamp Land

This is a new story I came up with because Mardi Gras is coming up soon and I wanted to write a story that takes place in louisiana. I tried to make my characters sound country or cajun so it might sound kind of weird when they talk. Pic of Ray at the top

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Ray(POV)

When they say falling in love in New Orleans is dangerous they're not lying, but I didn't know that at the time and I don't regret that it happen. Let me start by telling you how this all got started. My name is Raymond, but I just like to be called Ray and this was supposed to be a relaxing summer in New Orleans, Just me spending some time with my Aunt, Uncle, and cousin, I haven't seen in years and also me checking out some of the local history and culture of this beautiful city, well I got all that...... plus more.

I had just arrived in Louis Armstrong Airport when I was hit by a wave of hot air while stepping off the plane. My dad had told me it would be super hot in louisiana, but I didn't know it would be this hot. I used the back of my hand quickly wipe away the sweat from my forehead and made my way to the front of the Airport to look for my Aunt.

The airport was packed, people rushed pass me in a hurry to get to their destination. I scanned the many tired faces of the people till I spotted her. I'm surprised it took any time to find her,You could say it was hard to miss my Aunt. She loved to wear bright colors and lots of jewelry and she didn't disappoint. She wear a very colorful blouse of pink, blue, and green, with even more colorful jewelry she held up a big sign that said, Welcome to New Orleans Raymond. With a smile on my face I made my way over to her.

"Oh my goodness Raymond you have gotten so big you almost look like a grown man, now come here and give your auntie a big hug." Aunt Sally said. She almost squeezed me to death in that hug. "It's nice to see you to Aunt Sally." I said.

"Oh I'm just happy you're spending the summer with us Raymond," She said "Now where did your cousin run off to." she started to yell his name till came to us, "Billy Ray, Billy Ray!"

"Damn, mama why in the hell are you yelling I just went to the bathroom to go pee." He said.

Aunt Sally looked mad, "Now boy you gon stop all that cursing and come here and meet your cousin." she said.

He rolled his eyes then came up to me and gave me a quick one armed hug. "How ya doin cuz?" He asked.

I ran my hand through my hair, "Oh, I'm good." I said.

"Wow cuz you really sound like a yankee." he said. That for some reason kind of offended me.

"Well you sound really country." I said

"Well ain't I supposed to. I'm a born and raised Louisiana boy, how am I supposed to sound." He said

"Oh Billy Ray stop that and help your cousin with his things." Aunt Sally told him. Billy picked up one of my bags and we began walking to the car.

"Raymond you are going to love it her the city it's so beautiful and your daddy told me you love history and we have lots of museums and things like that." She said.

I opened the back door of my Aunt's car and climbed in the smell of roses hit my nose. "Uh, Aunt Sally do you still live in the same house?" I asked.

"Oh, honey as if I'll ever leave that house."

The house they live in is an old plantation that has been in the family for generations. We make our way down the long driveway that has beautiful old magnolia trees that line both sides of the road. The house comes into view. It's hard not to be in awe at the beauty of the old home.

When I open the car door I'm hit with the light sweet scent of the magnolia trees. I inhale the sweet scent gratefully. Cousin Billy helps me get begs to my room which is huge.

"Wow this room is so big" I make way to the closet which is the size of a bathroom.

Billy walks into the closet behind me, "Yeah mama's room is even bigger." he said. It was hard for me to imagine a bigger room than this, but I guess it's possible. "Yeah, uh.... do you wanna come out to the back yard and see the garden?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure."

The beauty of the garden has me speechless. I have a flashback of me and Billy running around and playing in the flowers. Billy clears his throat to get my attention. I turned to look at him.

"So....um....you're gay." He said. I had come out to my parents earlier that year and I guess it made it's way all the way down here. I was nervous I didn't know how he would feel about it, "Is that a problem?" I asked.

He shook his head, "Nope, I don't care because at the end of the day we still family."

I was so happy that he was o.k. with it, "Thinks."

He just shrugged his shoulders like it was no big deal.

"Ah, Billy yo mama here!" Someone with a deep cajun accent called to my cousin. Billy turned and yelled back, "Rex come back here I want you to meet my cousin."

One of the most beautiful men I have ever seen in my life walked into the garden to stand by Billy. His dark brown eyes traveled up and down my body. The smirk on his face had my heart racing. "So dis yo lil cousin Raymond." He said. His Cajun accent was unique and new to my ears and I liked it.

"Yeah city boy came all the way down here from New york." Billy said to him.

Rex made his way over to me. My breathing sped up as he took my hand in his. He brought my hand up to his lips, "Nice to meet you Raymond, ma name is Jacques Deveau, but you can call me Rex." He kissed my hand then he looked into my eyes and I don't know if it was the heat making me crazy are what, but I could have sworn his eyes flashed red for a quick second. "Well I have to get back to work," he said, "see you around Raymond." Then he was off to go fix on something.

Later at dinner I asked Aunt Sally about Rex.

"Oh, so you met Rex today isn't he the sweetest. This is an old house so him and his friends come fix things around the house and they cut the grass, things like that." she said.

The meal Aunt Sally had made was so good. She made red beans and rice with cornbread and sweet potato cake for dessert. The red beans and rice was so good that I was already on my second bowl.

"Ray, you know this house is haunted, right." Billy said. I stopped eating and looked at him, "Hunted?" I asked.

"This house is not hunted; Billy stop trying to scare your cousin." Uncle Bill said from the other end on the table. Uncle Bill is a quiet men who didn't say much.

Billy leaned over to me and whispered, "Tell me if you hear anything tonight."

Later that night when I was laying in bed sleep I heard the floor in my room creak like someone was in my room walking around. I thought because the house was so old the sounds were just things you hear in old homes, but I kept hearing it so I sat up in bed and screamed at what I saw at the foot of the bed. A tall dark shadow looked back at me.

''''''''''''''''''~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I probably want start working on this story till I finish one of my other ones, but I wanted to upload the first chapter of this. So I hope you liked it.